|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2009)|
|40x40px||Look up è in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
È or è can be
- The letter E with a grave accent.
- In English, the letter è is sometimes used in the past tense forms of verbs in poetic texts to indicate that the final syllable should be pronounced separately. For example blessèd would indicate the pronunciation bles-sed rather than blest. It also occurs in loanwords such as Italian caffè.
- "È" means "is" in modern Italian [ɛ], e.g. "il cane è piccolo" meaning the dog is small. It is derived from Latin "est" and is accented to distinguish it from the conjunction "e" meaning "and".
- È (è) is also used for an [ɤ] with a falling tone in pinyin, the Chinese language roman-alphabet transcription system. The word 鄂, consisting only of this vowel, is an abbreviation for the Hubei province of the People's Republic of China.
- È (è) is also used in Macedonian Latin as an equivalent of the letter Ye with grave (Ѐ, ѐ)
Windows users can type an "è" by holding the "Alt" key down and keying 138.
- Ye with grave, a Cyrillic letter with a similar glyph