115th Combat Support Hospital (United States)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|115th Combat Support Hospital|
|Country||United States of America|
|Type||Combat support hospital|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Polk, LA|
|Nickname||Warrior Medics (special designation) |
World War I|
World War II
|Distinctive unit insignia||150px|
The 115th Combat Support Hospital ("Warrior Medics") is a combat support hospital of the United States Army formed in 1917 and perpetuated until today. The hospital has participated in World War I, World War II, Desert Storm and the Iraq War.
Commander COL Andrew Doyle
Colonel Andrew E. Doyle began his Army career in 1993 after earning a Bachelor of Science in Biology from The George Washington University and entering medical school at George Washington through the Health Professions Scholarship Program. Upon graduation from medical school, he transitioned to active duty in the Medical Corps. Colonel Doyle’s military education includes the Army Medical Department Officer Basic and Advance Courses, as well as the Command and General Staff College. Colonel Doyle’s first active duty assignment was his residency training in Pediatrics at Brook Army Medical Center, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, from 1997 to 2000. Following training, his was assigned as a pediatrician at Winn Army Community Hospital, Fort Stewart, Georgia, from 2000 to 2004. During this assignment he served as a staff pediatrician and then as Chief of the Pediatric Service. Colonel Doyle deployed as a field surgeon with the 26 Support Battalion (FWD), 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division for Operations Desert Spring and Iraqi Freedom I. In 2004, Colonel Doyle moved to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, as the Officer in Charge of the Outpatient Pediatric Clinic and a member of the residency faculty. Colonel Doyle next travelled to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, in 2005, to serve as the AMEDD analyst for the Center for Army Lessons Learned, followed by a year as a student at the Command and General Staff College. In 2007, Colonel Doyle returned to Fort Stewart, Georgia, where he assumed the role of Chief of the Department of Primary Care. Colonel Doyle transitioned, in 2010, to the position of Deputy Commander for Clinical Service at Winn Army Community Hospital. At the conclusion of his duties as DCCS, Colonel Doyle moved to Fort Meade, Maryland, to begin his most recent assignment as the Division Surgeon for 1 Army, Division East. Colonel Doyle’s awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal (1 oak leaf cluster), the Army Commendation Medal (2 oak leaf clusters), the Army Achievement Medal (1 oak leaf cluster), the National Defense Service Medal (1 oak leaf clusters), the Iraqi Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Medal (Service), the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Overseas Service Ribbon, the Army Service Ribbon, the Army Superior Unit Award, and the Presidential Unit Citation. Colonel Doyle has also earned the Combat Medical Badge, the Expert Field Medical Badge, and is a proud member of the Order of Military Medical Merit. Colonel Doyle and his wife, Heather, met in college and have been married for 19 years. They have three children, Lucy, Melanie, and Noah.
COL David Mendoza (Chief Nurse)
Colonel David Mendoza began his Army career in 1992 after earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing. He also holds a Master's degree in Healthcare Management. His military education includes completion of the Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, the Combat Care Casualty Course, the AMEDD Officer Clinical Head Nurse Course, the Healthcare Recruiter Course, the Advanced Nurse Leadership Course, and Command and General Staff College. His units of assignment include Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX; Weed Army Community Hospital, Fort Irwin, CA; 6th AMEDD Healthcare Recruiting Detachment, Northwest Healthcare Team, Seattle, WA; 547th Area Support Medical Company, 62nd Medical Brigade, Fort Lewis, WA; Eskan Village, ARCENT, Saudi Arabia; Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA; 47th Combat Support Hospital, Fort Lewis, WA with duty in Kuwait City, Kuwait. Bayne-Jones Army Community Hospital, Fort Polk, LA; Carl R. Darnall Army Community Hospital, Fort Hood, TX; and Evans Army Community Hospital, Fort Carson, CO. COL Mendoza's staff nurse experience includes Pediatrics, Neonatal Intensive Care, Maternal-Child Care, Post-Anesthesia Recovery, Medical-Surgical, and Telemetry. He has held various leadership positions to include Clinical Head Nurse, Post Anesthesia Care Unit, MEDDAC; Clinical Head Nurse, Medical-Surgical Unit, MEDDAC; Clinical Nurse OIC, Telemetry Unit, MEDCEN; Clinical Nurse OIC, Ambulatory Health Clinic, MEDCEN; AMEDD Healthcare Recruiter; Chief, Ambulatory Nursing, MEDCEN and Medical OIC, Soldier Readiness Processing Center, MEDDAC. COL Mendoza's awards and decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal (5 Oak Leaf Clusters), Army Commendation Medal (3 Oak Leaf Clusters), Army Achievement Medal (4 Oak Leaf Clusters), National Defense Service Medal with 2 bronze stars, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Superior Unit Award, Army Service Ribbon, and Overseas Ribbon. He also earned the Expert Field Medical Badge.
CSM Edward D. Leonard (Command Sergeant Major)
Command Sergeant Major Edward Leonard is an East Tennessee native with a broad range of clinical, operational and leadership positions. He entered the U.S. Army in September 1986, attended Basic Training at Fort McClellan, Alabama and completed Advanced Individual Training as a Combat Medic at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
His successive leadership positions include Chief Clinical NCO/Sergeant Major, Division Chief Medical NCO/Sergeant Major, First Sergeant, Senior Clinical Operations NCO, Chief Wardmaster, Detachment Sergeant, Platoon Sergeant, Wardmaster, Clinic NCOIC, Squad Leader, and Consolidated Troop Medical Clinic NCOIC.
Command Sergeant Major Leonard’s overseas assignments include the 2/503rd Infantry Regiment, Camp Hovey, South Korea; the 135th and 127th Forward Surgical Teams, Yongsan, South Korea; and four combat tours in support of Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. His stateside assignments include 326th Medical Battalion, Fort Campbell, KY; 50th Air Ambulance Company, Fort Campbell, KY; Winn Army Community Hospital, Fort Stewart, GA; 86th Combat Support Hospital, Fort Campbell, KY; United States Army Sergeants Major Academy, Fort Bliss, TX; 1st Armored Division Headquarters, Fort Bliss, TX; and Tripler Army Medical Center, HI.
Command Sergeant Major Leonard’s military education includes the U.S. Army Combat Medical Specialist Course; Practical Nurse Course (Distinguished Honor Graduate); Medical Management of Chemical, Nuclear and Biological Casualty Courses; NBC Officer Course; Unit Prevention Leader Course; Battle Staff Noncommissioned Officer Course; Health Services Plans, Operations, Intelligence, Security, and Training Course; Basic Healthcare Administrator Course; Manpower and Force Management Course; Eighth United States Army Primary Leadership Development Course; Academy of Health Sciences Basic and Advanced Noncommissioned Officer Course, the First Sergeant Course; and the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy, Class 60. He has an Associate of Arts Degree in General Studies.
His awards and decorations include the Bronze Star Medal with oak-leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal with 4 oak-leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal with 3 oak-leaf clusters, Army Achievement Medal with 2 silver oak-leaf clusters, Army Good Conduct Medal (9th award), National Defense Service Medal with bronze star, Southwest Asia Service Medal with 3 bronze stars, Iraq Campaign Medal with 3 bronze stars, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, NCO Professional Development Ribbon with numeral 4, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon with numeral 6, Kuwaiti Liberation Medal – Saudi Arabia, Kuwaiti Liberation Medal – Kuwait, Meritorious Unit Citation (with oak-leaf cluster), and the Army Superior Unit Award. He has earned the Combat Action Badge, Combat Medical Badge, Expert Field Medical Badge, Basic Aviation Badge, Air Assault Badge, and the Driver Badge (wheeled). Additionally, he is a member of the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club and the Order of Military Medical Merit.
Sergeant Major Leonard is married to Dr. Sandra Addari and has a son, Daniel, attending college at the University of Texas, El Paso and a daughter, Kassidy, in high school.
Former Command Elements
- Colonel Kevin J. Stevens (CDR) 2012-2014
- Colonel Patricia Darnauer (CDR) 2009-2012 (OEF)
- Colonel John McGrath (CDR) 2006-2009 (OIF)
- Colonel Jeffrey Short (CDR) 2004-2006 (OIF)
- Colonel Donn Richards (CDR) 2002-2004 (OIF)
- Colonel Douglas Hewitt (CDR) 2000-2002
- Command Sergeant Major William L. Majors (CSM)
- Command Sergeant Major Janine Osterberg (CSM)
- Command Sergrant Major Timothy Motes (CSM) (OEF)
- Command Sergeant Major Shirley Hunt (CSM) (OIF)
- Command Sergeant Major Reyes Perez (CSM) (OIF)
- Command Sergeant Major Cheryl Mathis (CSM) (OIF)
- Lieutenant Colonel Richard Hoyt (XO) (OIF)
- Lieutenant Colonel James Upton (XO) (OIF)
- Lieutenant Colonel Willian Hogan (XO)
- Constituted 28 December 1917 in the Regular Army as Evacuation Hospital No. 15
- Organized 21 March 1918 at Fort Riley, Kansas
- Demobilized 28 June 1919 at Camp Lewis, Washington
- Reconstituted 9 November 1936 in the Regular Army and consolidated with the 15th Evacuation Hospital (constituted 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army) and consolidated unit designated as the 15th Evacuation Hospital
- Activated 1 June 1941 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland
- Reorganized and redesignated 20 October 1943 as the 15th Evacuation Hospital, Semimobile
- Inactivated 8 September 1945 in Italy
- Redesignated 24 August 1949 as the 15th Evacuation Hospital and activated in Germany
- Reorganized and redesignated 10 November 1951 as the 15th Evacuation Hospital, Semimobile
- Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 15th Evacuation Hospital
- Reorganized and redesignated 21 December 1973 as the 15th Combat Support Hospital
- Reorganized and redesignated 16 March 1984 as the 15th Evacuation Hospital
- Reorganized and redesignated 16 October 1994 as the 115th Field Hospital
- Reorganized and redesignated 2005 as the 115th Combat Support Hospital
Distinctive Unit Insignia
Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height overall consisting of a silver cross couped, bearing an oak tree on a mound proper all above a maroon scroll bearing the motto "EVACUARE" in silver letters.
Symbolism: The silver cross represents the activities of the Medical Corps, and the oak tree represents the service of the organization in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive during World War I.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 15th Evacuation Hospital on 5 February 1942. It was redesignated for the 15th Combat Support Hospital on 8 March 1974. It was redesignated for the 15th Evacuation Hospital on 22 October 1984. The insignia was redesignated effective 16 September 1993, for the 115th Field Hospital, with description revised.
The 115th Combat Support Hospital traces its origin to Evacuation Hospital #15, originally organized at Fort Riley, Kansas on 21 March 1918. At the onset of hostilities during World War I, the unit sailed aboard the "S.S. Mataika," departing the United States on 22 August 1918, and arriving in France 3 September 1918. Evacuation Hospital #15 earned a battle streamer for its participation in the Meuse-Argonne Forest offensive from 26 September 1918 through 11 November 1918. The hospital, having served honorably and proud during World War I, returned to the United States aboard the "S.S. America" and was demobilized at Camp Lewis, Washington on 28 June 1919. Evacuation Hospital #15 was reconstituted as the 15th Evacuation Hospital in 1936, after having been organized as an inactive unit of the Regular Army on 1 October 1933.
As the first hostilities of World War II began, the 15th Evacuation Hospital was again activated in a training status at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. Shortly thereafter, the hospital was alerted for overseas deployment. Preparations for this move included the assignment of new personnel and equipment. On 8 February 1943, the 15th sailed aboard the "Susan B. Anthony," a converted passenger and cargo liner designed for 300 passengers, but redesigned to accommodate 2,700 troops. At this time, the unit had an assigned strength of: 39 officers, 48 nurses, 1 warrant officer and 248 enlisted men. Three days into the trip, the 15th learned that its destination was North Africa. On 21 February, the ship docked in Algeria, where the 15th unloaded its men and equipment and went into a staging area to await its first operational assignment. On 10 April 1943, the unit moved a distance of approximately 600 miles east to Tunisia, where it set up and began receiving patients. The 15th operated in a number of locations within the North African Theater until just prior to D-Day, 10 July 1943. At this point, the hospital sailed for the southern coast of Sicily, where it supported the beach-head established by allied forces. At one point during the Sicilian Campaign, the patient census rose to an astronomical figure of 978 inpatients. It is interesting to note that during this period (3 August 1943), Lieutenant General George S. Patton, Commanding General, 7th United States Army, paid a thirty-minute visit to the hospital, from that visit the often talked about "slapping incident" materialized.
The hospital moved to Italy, and participated in both the Salerno and Anzio beach-heads. It was during the Anzio beach-head that the 15th came under heavy artillery attack, suffering numerous casualties. Several members of the unit were decorated for heroism during that period.
The 15th continued to move north through Italy, and on 10 June 1944, established itself in a schoolhouse near Rome. This was the first permanent- type building the 15th had operated out of in over 18 months. The hospital's comparatively comfortable life in Rome was short lived, and on 21 June 1944, the 15th moved north in support of combat operations through Florence and the Po Valley into Milan, where it served until the end of hostilities.
In addition to several campaign streamers, including: Tunisia, Naples-Foggle, Rome-Arno, Po Valley, and North Apennines, the 15th Evacuation Hospital received the most prized award of all, the Meritorious Unit Citation, for its outstanding performance during World War II. Having served honorably and well, the unit was deactivated on 8 September 1945.
The 15th Evacuation Hospital was again reactivated on 25 August 1959, at Nuremberg, Germany, where it was responsible for the medical care of military and civilian personnel. The hospital acted as a MEDDAC and, in addition, operated various other medical activities throughout the Nuremberg area.
In 1961, the hospital moved to Kornwesteim, Germany and was constructed as a training unit without patients. During March 1963, the 15th once again began receiving patients and operated a 400-bed facility in Baumholder, Germany. In 1964, the hospital moved to Muenchweiler, Germany, where it again assumed a training posture without patients.
On 1 August 1968, the 15th Evacuation Hospital arrived at Fort Belvoir, Virginia after being airlifted from Rhein Mein Air Base, Germany during a period of troop reduction in Europe. On 21 January 1975, the 15th Evacuation Hospital was officially redesignated and reorganized as the 15th Combat Support Hospital, utilizing the new and conventional Medical Unit, Self-contained, Transportable (MUST) equipment which was capable of holding 100 to 300 patients and preparing them for further evacuation.
On 31 July 1975, the 15th Combat Support Hospital was alerted for deployment to Fort Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania for the purpose of operating the Medical Treatment Facility, Task Force New Arrivals, providing comprehensive medical care to Indochinese refugees and task force personnel, both military and civilian. Movement of the 15th Combat Support Hospital to Fort Indiantown Gap began on 11 August 1975, and continued in increments until 22 August 1975, when the 15th officially took over operation of the Medical Treatment Facility at Fort Indiantown Gap.
During the period 22 August 1975 through 15 December 1975, the 15th treated 32 inpatients and evacuated an additional 137 patients. A total of 12,459 patients were seen on an outpatient basis. In addition, 8648 refugees were given dental care.
On March 1984, after nine years of distinguished service, the 15th Combat Support Hospital was reorganized and redesigned as the 15th Evacuation Hospital.
In March 1988, the 15th Evacuation Hospital began to prepare for the move from Fort Belvoir, Virginia to Fort Polk, Louisiana. The unit was officially deactivated in June 1988 and was reactivated in August at Fort Polk.
Officially reinstated, the 15th Evacuation Hospital became a valuable asset to the 5th Infantry Division. From 8 January 1991 to 26 April 1991, the hospital deployed to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Iraqi POW's, women and children were primarily treated. Prior to deployment, the 15th was fielded with DEPMEDS (Deployable Medical Systems). In Feb 1993, the 15th Evacuation Hospital was redesignated the 115th Field Hospital.
The 115th deployed to Bosnia-Herzegovina from March to September 2000.
In support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 115th Combat Support Hospital deployed to Kuwait in 2003 and again to Adu Gharb Prison in Iraq from July 2004 to July 2005. During this most recent combat deployment, the 115th Combat Support Hospital, while under some of the most fierce combat conditions, created an entire system of Detention health Care from scratch, setting the standard for the Department of Defense to follow for years to come.
In support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the 115th Combat Support Hospital deployed to Iraq for 15 months, 2008 to Aug 2009. During the deployment, the unit had health service support at four different bases: care for Iranian refugees at Camp Ashraf, set up a new hospital and provided care for 5,000 detainees and area support at Camp Taji, managed a hospital at Camp Victory which provided care to 3,500 detainees and 40,000 Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen, and the southernmost post at Camp Bucca cared for 22,000 detainees and 12,000 coalition forces.
In support of Operation Enduring Freedom, the 115th Combat Support Hospital deployed to Camp Dwyer, Afghanistan in late 2009 to December 2011. The 115th CSH provided level one, two and three health service preventive medicine support, while also leading a medical task force more than 400 strong that spanned the southwestern and western regions of Afghanistan. They treated more than 1,500 in-patients and 15,500 outpatients since the beginning of the year. They created a synchronized medical delivery system supported by a functional task force headquarters that facilitated communication, ensured adherence to standards of clinical practice and provided administrative support to direct reporting units,” said Darnauer.
The 115th CSH and its subordinate units such as, 6th Squad, 43rd Veterinary Detachment, 485th Preventive Medicine Detachment, and 565th Ground Ambulance Company, have deployed to various locations including: Bosnia, Haiti, Ecuador and Hungary from. 115th Combat Support Hospital training deployments during this time included numerous JRTC rotations, Partnership for Peace exercises, a Bright Star rotation in Egypt, Operation Rolling Thunder, Operation Team Spirit, MEDEX 2000 in Japan and various other exercises. The 115th Combat Support Hospital is the standard for all medical TOE units and has become a central asset not only for JRTC and Ft. Polk but the United States Army as well.
On 5 February 1943, the present 565th Medical Company (Ground Ambulance) was constituted as Company B, 426th Ambulance Motor Battalion. It was activated on 25 February 1943 at Camp Maxey, Texas. It was reorganized as redesignated on 25 September 1943 as the 565th Ambulance Company, Motor. The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 25 April 1945 and became the 565th Motor Ambulance Company. After the end of World War II in Europe, the unit was inactivated on 15 November 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts. During WWII the unit earned Campaign Participation Credit in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. On 23 May 1955, the 565th Medical Company was redesignated and allotted to the Regular Army. It was reactivated on 1 July 1955 at Baumholder, Germany. In 1990, the unit again responded when duty called and deployed to Southwest Asia in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. They have also deployed to Kuwait and Haiti to provide medical support. Most recently the unit has been to Bosnia. The unit now calls Ft. Polk, Louisiana home. "Bring Them Back Alive"
The 485th Medical Detachment was constituted on 29 July 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Company A, 343rd Medical Regiment. On 1 October 1933, the unit was transferred to the Regular Army. The unit was activated on 20 May 1943 at Fort Dix, New Jersey and assigned to the XIII Corps. In October 1944, the unit was sent to England and was subsequently sent to France, where it followed the war through Belgium and into Germany. On 30 November 1946, the unit was inactivated at Karlsruhe, Germany. On 18 February 1953, the unit was redesignated as the 485th Preventive Medicine Company activated in Germany. The unit was sent to France in March 1953. Over the years the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 485th Medical Company (5 June 1953), the 485th Medical Laboratory (24 March 1962), the 485th Preventive Medicine Unit (17 June 1963), and the 485th Medical Detachment (Preventive Medicine) (21 June 1973). The 485th Medical Detachment proudly answered it's nation's call when needed, and deployed to: Lebanon (1958), Iran (1962), Morocco (1963), Yugoslavia (1963), Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (1971), Arkansas and Pennsylvania (1975), Colorado (1976), Somalia (1993), and Surinam (1994). The unit is currently stationed at Fort Polk, Louisiana. "Bugs and Bullets"
The 43rd Veterinary Detachment was constituted in the Army of the United States on 20 March 1944 in China. It was reorganized and redesignated as the 43rd Veterinary Animal Service Detachment on 16 March 1945. On 20 September 1945, the unit was inactivated in China. On 13 August 1951, the unit was redesignated as Headquarters, 43rd Veterinary Service Detachment and attached to the Regular Army. On 22 August 1951, the unit was activated at Camp Carson, Colorado. The unit was subsequently sent to France. On 15 January 1953, it was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 43rd Medical Detachment. On 3 December 1954, the unit was again reorganized and redesignated to become the 43rd Medical Detachment. On 23 February 1967, the unit was inactivated in France. On 26 May 1967, the unit was reactivated at Fort Sam Houston, Texas and later served in Vietnam. On 26 December 1971, the unit was inactivated in Vietnam. On 1 October 1993, the unit was activated at Fort Hood, Texas as the 43rd Medical Detachment (Veterinary Services). Effective 16 June 1996, the 6th Squad, 43rd Medical Detachment (VS) was moved to Fort Polk, where it falls under the command and control of the 115th Combat Support Hospital.
The 115th Combat Support Hospital has had a long and honorable history—one that reflects great credit upon its members, both past and present. Members of the 115th can justifiably be proud of their accomplishments and their tradition of outstanding service to the US Army, and should remember that the writing of this unit's history is an ongoing project, with pages still to be added. The 115th Combat Support Hospital, through the efforts of its members, will continue to serve in the finest traditions of the service.
Campaign participation credit
The 115th Combat Support Hospital was featured on LT. Col Oliver North's "NRAs Life Of Duty" while serving in Afghanistan in 2011.
12px This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Army Center of Military History document "115th Combat Support Hospital Lineage and Honors".