1972 German Grand Prix
- Jacky Ickx took his last Formula One win in this race and scored his only Grand Chelem (English:Grand Slam) (led and won the whole race from pole position and set fastest lap). He also beat François Cevert's 1971 fastest lap record by more than seven seconds, and improved on the pole position record set by Jackie Stewart in the same year by 13 seconds.
- Championship leader Emerson Fittipaldi's John Player Special Lotus suffered a rare mechanical failure and retired after a gearbox fire.
- Jackie Stewart had a long battle for second place with Clay Regazzoni before the two tangled on the last lap at Hatzenbach. Stewart crashed into the Armco barrier, destroying his Tyrrell's suspension and losing the opportunity to close the gap on Fittipaldi in the title race.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Formula One World - History - German Grand Prix 1972". Archived from the original on 2007-07-15. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "The Official Formula 1 website". Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
1972 British Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1972 Austrian Grand Prix
1971 German Grand Prix
|German Grand Prix||Next race:|
1973 German Grand Prix