1977 British Grand Prix
The 1977 British Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Silverstone on 16 July 1977. It was won by James Hunt driving a McLaren M26, and marked the debut of Canadian driver Gilles Villeneuve. The race was the first outing for the first turbocharged Formula One car, the Renault RS01, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille.
Owing to the large number of entrants, a special system of pre-qualification was devised, taking place on the Wednesday before the race. Fourteen cars took part, most from teams which were not members of FOCA. Debutant Gilles Villeneuve also took part, along with Patrick Tambay, Jean-Pierre Jarier, Brett Lunger, Patrick Nève, Mikko Kozarowitzky, another debutant Andy Sutcliffe, Guy Edwards, Tony Trimmer, David Purley, Emilio de Villota, Brian Henton, Arturo Merzario and yet another debutant, Brian McGuire.
Kozarowitzky crashed his RAM March in the first session, and Purley suffered a huge accident in the second session, when the throttle stuck open on his LEC. He suffered multiple fractures and spent many months recovering. He later returned to racing but never appeared in a World Championship Formula One race again. The fastest five drivers after both sessions were Villeneuve, Tambay, Jarier, Lunger and Henton, all of whom went through to the full qualifying sessions. Merzario and Nève were subsequently also allowed through, as was de Villota, who replaced Harald Ertl when the Austrian driver withdrew his entry.
Standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings. Only the best 8 results from the first 9 races and the best 7 results from the remaining 8 races were retained. Numbers without parentheses are retained points; numbers in parentheses are total points scored.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2007-01-10. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- "GRAND PRIX RESULTS: BRITISH GP, 1977". grandprix.com. Archived from the original on 5 June 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- Tremayne, David (1991). Racers Apart: Memories of motorsport heroes. UK: Motor Racing Publications Ltd. p. 293. ISBN 0-947981-58-6.
- "The Official Formula 1 website". Archived from the original on 3 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-27.
1977 French Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1977 German Grand Prix
1976 British Grand Prix
|British Grand Prix||Next race:|
1978 British Grand Prix
| Previous race:
1976 Dutch Grand Prix
| European Grand Prix
(Designated European Grand Prix)
| Next race:|
1983 European Grand Prix
| Preceded by
1976 United States Grand Prix West
| Formula One Promotional Trophy
for Race Promoter
| Succeeded by|
1978 British Grand Prix