1987 NCAA Division III football season
|1987 NCAA Division III football season|
|Regular season||August – November 1987|
|Playoffs||November – December 1987|
Phenix City, AL
The 1987 NCAA Division III football season, part of the college football season organized by the NCAA at the Division III level in the United States, began in August 1987, and concluded with the NCAA Division III Football Championship, also known as the Stagg Bowl, in December 1987 at Garrett-Harrison Stadium in Phenix City, Alabama. The Wagner Seahawks won their first Division III championship by defeating the Dayton Flyers, 19−3. Due to NCAA rule changes in 1991, both schools are now members Football Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA).
The 1987 NCAA Division III Football Championship playoffs were the 15th annual single-elimination tournament to determine the national champion of men's NCAA Division III college football. The championship Stagg Bowl game was held at Garrett-Harrison Stadium in Phenix City, Alabama for the 13th time and for the third consecutive year. Like the previous two tournaments, this year's bracket featured sixteen teams.
NCAA Division III Playoff bracket
|National Championship Game|
Phenix City, Alabama
|Emory & Henry||13|
|Washington & Jefferson||23*|
|Washington & Jefferson||16|
|Emory & Henry||23|
|Emory & Henry||49|
|St. John's (MN)||7|
|St. John's (MN)||3|
- 1987 NCAA Division I-A football season
- 1987 NCAA Division I-AA football season
- 1987 NCAA Division II football season
- "All-Time Division III Football Championship Records" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. pp. 4–15. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- "1987 NCAA Division III National Football Championship Bracket" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. p. 14. Retrieved November 13, 2014.