1993 Cleveland Indians season
|1993 Cleveland Indians|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||John Hart|
|Local television||WUAB · SportsChannel|
|Local radio||WKNR (1220)|
[[1992 Cleveland Indians season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other|
This page is a soft redirect. < Previous season]] [[1994 Cleveland Indians season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Next season >]]
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Minor league affiliates
- 6 References
- October 15, 1992: Scott Bailes was released by the California Angels.
- November 12, 1992: Eric Plunk was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- December 7, 1992: Dave Otto was drafted from the Indians by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1992 minor league draft.
- December 7, 1992: Willie Cañate was drafted from the Indians by the Cincinnati Reds in the 1992 rule 5 draft.
- December 8, 1992: Bob Ojeda signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- December 14, 1992: Mike Bielecki was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- March 4, 1993: Sam Horn was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
The Indians were in Winter Haven for spring training on March 22, 1993 when Ojeda went on a boat ride with new teammates Steve Olin and Tim Crews. Crews was legally drunk and it was nearly dark when the boat struck a pier, killing Crews and Olin. It was the first death of active major league players since Thurman Munson in 1979. Ojeda suffered major head lacerations and sat out most of the season to recuperate – both physically and mentally. He attributed his slouch (in his seat) for saving his life. He returned late that season and had a respectable 4.40 ERA in 43 innings.  In response to the accident that took Olin and Crews in 1993, the Indians wore a patch on their sleeves of their jerseys. It consisted of a baseball with their numbers on it. Olin's #31 is on the left, with an arrow above. Crews' #52 is on the right, with a star above it.
- March 24, 1993: Mike Aldrete was released by the Indians.
- March 31, 1993: Mark Whiten was traded by the Indians to the St. Louis Cardinals for Mark Clark and Juan Andujar (minors).
- June 1, 1993: José Hernández was traded by the Indians to the Chicago Cubs for Heathcliff Slocumb.
- June 1, 1993: Fernando Hernández and Tracy Sanders (minors) were traded by the Indians to the San Diego Padres for Jeremy Hernandez.
- June 19, 1993: Mike Bielecki was released by the Indians.
- August 17, 1993: Thomas Howard was traded by the Indians to the Cincinnati Reds for Randy Milligan.
- August 19, 1993: Glenallen Hill was traded by the Indians to the Chicago Cubs for Candy Maldonado.
|1993 Cleveland Indians|
|= Indicates team leader|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|Sandy Alomar, Jr.||64||215||58||.270||6||32|
Note: GS = Games Started; IP = Innings Pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts;
Note: G = Games; IP = Innings Pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts;
Note: G = Games played; W = Wins ; L = Losses ; SV = Saves ; K = Strikeouts
Awards and honors
Minor league affiliates
- Eric Plunk page at Baseball Reference
- Dave Otto page at Baseball Reference
- Willie Cañate page at Baseball Reference
- Bob Ojeda page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Bielecki page at Baseball Reference
- Sam Horn page at Baseball Reference
- Mike Aldrete page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Whiten page at Baseball Reference
- Heathcliff Slocumb pate at Baseball Reference
- Jeremy Hernandez page at Baseball Reference
- Randy Milligan page at Baseball Reference
- Glenallen Hill page at Baseball Reference
- 1993 Cleveland Indians team page at Baseball Reference
- 1993 Cleveland Indians team page at www.baseball-almanac.com