1997 New York Mets season
|1997 New York Mets|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Fred Wilpon and Nelson Doubleday, Jr.|
|General manager(s)||Joe McIlvaine and Steve Phillips|
WWOR-TV/SportsChannel New York|
(Ralph Kiner, Tim McCarver, Fran Healy, Howie Rose, Gary Thorne)
(Bob Murphy, Gary Cohen, Ed Coleman)
(Juan Alicea, Billy Berroa)
[[1996 New York Mets season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other|
This page is a soft redirect. < Previous season]] [[1998 New York Mets season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Next season >]]
- November 25, 1996: Paul Byrd and a player to be named later were traded by the Mets to the Atlanta Braves for Greg McMichael. The Mets completed the deal by sending Andy Zwirchitz (minors) to the Braves on May 25, 1997.
- November 27, 1996: Rico Brogna was traded by the Mets to the Philadelphia Phillies for Ricardo Jordan and Toby Borland.
- December 20, 1996: Robert Person was traded by the Mets to the Toronto Blue Jays for John Olerud and cash.
- March 22, 1997: Héctor Ramírez was traded by the Mets to the Baltimore Orioles for Scott McClain and Manny Alexander.
- April 15, 1997: The Mets hosted ceremonies marking the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's first game with the Brooklyn Dodgers before their game against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Shea Stadium. During the ceremonies, Robinson's jersey number, 42, was retired by Major League Baseball. The Mets won the game 5-0.
- June 16, 1997: The first interleague game between the New York Mets and New York Yankees took place at Yankee Stadium. The Mets won the game by a score of 6-0.
|New York Mets||88||74||.543||13|
- June 3, 1997: 1997 Major League Baseball Draft
- August 8, 1997: Lance Johnson and players to be named later were traded by the Mets to the Chicago Cubs for Brian McRae, Mel Rojas and Turk Wendell. The Mets completed the deal by sending Mark Clark to the Cubs on August 11 and Manny Alexander to the Cubs on August 14.
|1997 New York Mets|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
- Paul Byrd page at Baseball Reference
- Rico Brogna page at Baseball Reference
- John Olerud page at Baseball Reference
- Scott McClain page at Baseball Reference
- Smith, Claire (April 16, 1997). "A Grand Tribute to Robinson and His Moment". New York Times. p. A1.
- Olney, Buster (April 16, 1997). "Mets' Own Melting Pot Provides Victory Blend". New York Times. p. B14.
- Garrett Atkins page at Baseball Reference
- Jeremy Guthrie page at Baseball Reference
- Brian McRae page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 2007