1st Legislative District (New Jersey)
New Jersey's 1st Legislative District is one of 40 in the state, covering the Atlantic County municipalities of Corbin City, Estell Manor City and Weymouth Township; the Cape May County municipalities of Avalon Borough, Cape May City, Cape May Point Borough, Dennis Township, Lower Township, Middle Township, North Wildwood City, Ocean City, Sea Isle City, Stone Harbor Borough, Upper Township, West Cape May Borough, West Wildwood Borough, Wildwood city, Wildwood Crest Borough and Woodbine Borough; and the Cumberland County communities of Commercial Township, Downe Township, Fairfield Township, Greenwich Township, Hopewell Township, Lawrence Township, Maurice River Township, Millville City, Shiloh Borough, Stow Creek Township and Vineland City as of the 2011 apportionment.
As of the 2010 United States Census, the district had a population of 217,333, of whom 170,857 (78.6%) were of voting age. The racial makeup of the district was 170,111 (78.3%) White, 24,275 (11.2%) African American, 1,008 (0.5%) Native American, 2,730 (1.3%) Asian, 92 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 13,299 (6.1%) from some other race, and 5,818 (2.7%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 37,552 (17.3%) of the population. The district had 143,890 registered voters as of November 2013, of whom 68,007 (47.3%) were registered as Unaffiliated, 34,968 (24.3%) were registered as Democrats, 40,797 (28.4%) were registered as Republicans and 118 (0.1%) were registered to other parties.
The district is represented for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session in the State Senate by Jeff Van Drew (D, Dennis Township) and in the General Assembly by Bob Andrzejczak (D, Middle Township) and Sam Fiocchi (R, Vineland).
- Districts by Number, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed March 14, 2013.
- DP-1: Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 - 2010 Demographic Profile Data, United States Census Bureau. Accessed January 29, 2014.
- Statewide Voter Registration Summary, New Jersey Department of State, November 28, 2013. Accessed January 28, 2014.
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2014.
- District 14 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2014.