The 2009–10 season was the 108th season of competitive football in Italy.
- August 23, 2009 – Serie A season begins.
- September 18, 2009 — Brian Filipi, 20, Ravenna midfielder and Albania youth international, killed in a car accident.
- October 13, 2009 — Massimo Mattolini, 56, former Serie A goalkeeper with Fiorentina and Napoli, Coppa Italia winner in 1975, kidney failure.
- November 10, 2009 — Flora Viola, 86, widow of late A.S. Roma president Dino Viola, and club chairwoman herself during the year 1991.
- December 26, 2009 — Giuseppe Chiappella, 85, former midfielder, 1955–56 Serie A winner with Fiorentina, Italian international footballer, and later manager for Fiorentina and Internazionale.
- March 10, 2010 — Tonino Carino, 65, popular Italian RAI journalist who was active in football, best famous for his coverage of Ascoli games during the club's period in the Serie A in the 1980s and 1990s.
- March 20, 2010 — Naim Krieziu, 92, Albanian former striker/winger, one of the two last surviving members with Amedeo Amadei of the AS Roma team who won the club's first Italian title in 1942.