2012 Detroit Tigers season
|2012 Detroit Tigers|
American League Champions|
American League Central Champions
|Major League affiliations|
Fox Sports Detroit|
(Mario Impemba, Rod Allen)
Detroit Tigers Radio Network|
(Dan Dickerson, Jim Price)
[[2011 Detroit Tigers season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other|
This page is a soft redirect. < Previous season]] [[2013 Detroit Tigers season#REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Next season >]]
The 2012 Detroit Tigers season was the team's 112th season. On October 1, 2012, the Tigers clinched the AL Central title, the club's first repeat title since 1934–1935. They finished the regular season 88–74. They defeated the Oakland Athletics in the American League Divisional Series, 3 games to 2. It was the Tigers' second consecutive ALDS win. The Tigers went on to sweep the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series  before being swept themselves by the San Francisco Giants in the World Series.
- 1 Roster moves
- 2 Delmon Young's arrest
- 3 Individual accomplishments
- 4 Standings
- 5 Game log
- 6 Farm system
- 7 References
- 8 External links
- On November 1, the Tigers released outfielder Magglio Ordóñez, infielder Carlos Guillén, and starting pitcher Brad Penny to free agency.
- On March 12, the Tigers released relief pitcher David Pauley. On March 15, Pauley cleared waivers and became a free agent.
- On December 16, the team announced that relief pitcher Al Alburquerque had surgery on his pitching elbow, to replace a stress fracture.
- On January 17, it was reported that designated hitter/catcher/infielder Víctor Martínez tore his ACL and needs surgery to repair it. On March 12, the team placed Martinez on the 60-day disabled list and declared him out for the season.
Signings and key returns
- On November 18, the Tigers signed catcher Gerald Laird to a one-year contract. Laird had been the Tigers' primary catcher for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.
- Also on November 18, the club purchased the minor league contracts of pitching prospects Casey Crosby, Tyler Stohr and Matt Hoffman; outfielder Avisail Garcia and infielder Hernan Perez.
- On December 9, the Tigers announced a one-year deal with relief pitcher Octavio Dotel. There is an option for the 2013 season.
- On January 16, the Tigers avoided arbitration with starting pitcher Rick Porcello and reliever Phil Coke, signing both to one-year deals. The following day, the team agreed on one-year deals for starting pitcher Max Scherzer, outfielder Delmon Young and utilityman Don Kelly. This helps the team avoid an arbitration hearing for the 10th year in a row.
- On January 24, the Tigers signed first baseman Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million deal. As a result, Miguel Cabrera moved to third base.
- On April 20, the Tigers re-acquired pitcher Zach Miner from the Kansas City Royals in exchange for cash. Miner will report to the AA Erie Seawolves.
- On December 9, the Tigers traded relief pitcher Ryan Perry to the Washington Nationals for fellow reliever Collin Balester.
- On July 23, the Tigers traded pitcher Jacob Turner and two minor league prospects (catcher Rob Brantly and pitcher Brian Flynn) to the Miami Marlins for starting pitcher Aníbal Sánchez and infielder Omar Infante.
- On August 6, the Tigers acquired utilityman Jeff Baker from the Chicago Cubs for two minor league players to be named later. He was traded to the Atlanta Braves on August 31 for a player to be named later.
Delmon Young's arrest
On April 27, 2012, an intoxicated Delmon Young was arrested for third-degree assault and an “aggravated harassment hate crime” in New York City after a confrontation with a group of Jewish tourists in which he made antisemitic remarks outside of their hotel before a series against the Yankees. Later in the day, Young issued a statement apologizing for his actions. On April 30, Young was suspended without pay for seven games, and ordered to undergo therapy.
- On September 27, starting pitcher Doug Fister struck out 9 batters in a row, a new American League record. It was just one short of the Major League record of 10 in a row, accomplished by Tom Seaver in 1970.
- With a .330 average, 44 home runs and 139 RBIs, slugger Miguel Cabrera became the first player in 45 years to win the Triple Crown of Batting, leading the American League in all three categories. The last player to accomplish this feat was Carl Yastrzemski in 1967. He went on to win the 2012 AL Most Valuable Player Award. He also won this year's AL Hank Aaron Award, and the AL Silver Slugger award.
- Starters Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer finished first and second among the American League strikeout leaders, with 239 and 231, respectively. Verlander finished second in a very close AL Cy Young Award race for 2012, collecting 149 points (12 first-place votes) to 153 points (13 first-place votes) for Tampa Bay Rays starter David Price.
- On October 13, during Game 1 of the ALCS, Delmon Young hit his sixth career post-season home run, setting a new franchise record. Young later won the ALCS MVP Award.
- Outfielder Austin Jackson won the Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award.
The Tigers sent three players to the All-Star Game: pitcher Justin Verlander (fifth appearance), third baseman Miguel Cabrera (seventh appearance, third with the Tigers), and first baseman Prince Fielder (fourth appearance, first with the Tigers). Fielder was voted in as a starter, and won the Home Run Derby with 28 home runs, the second time in his career and his first with the Tigers. Fielder also won a Silver Slugger Award.
2012 American League Central
2012 American League Playoff Teams
|2012 game log (88–74)|
American League Division Series
American League Division Series vs Oakland Athletics (Tigers win series 3–2) </div>
American League Championship Series
American League Championship Series vs New York Yankees (Tigers win series 4–0) </div>
World Series vs San Francisco Giants (Giants win series 4–0) </div>
Record vs. opponents
- Source: MLB Standings Grid
|2012 Detroit Tigers|
(*) = Was on team for part of 2012 season.
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; AVG = Batting average; SB = Stolen bases
- Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Lakeland
- Tigers are the ones to reclaim AL Central title MLB.com, October 1, 2012
- Verlander sends Tigers to second straight ALCS MLB.com, October 12, 2012
- Party to the Max: Tigers sweep way to Series MLB.com, October 18, 2012
- Fall cleaning: Giants sweep Series in Detroit MLB.com, October 28, 2012
- Was Tuesday Joel Zumaya's swan song? Despite surgery, he wants to stay Tiger by Vince Ellis, Detroit Free Press, October 12, 2011
- Magglio, Guillen Not Expected Back in Detroit MLB.com November 1, 2011
- Tigers Do Not Tender Will Rhymes a Contract For the 2012 Season MLB.com December 12, 2011
- Tigers part ways with struggling righty Pauley MLB.com March 12, 2012
- Detroit Tigers sever ties with Brandon Inge, but 'heart will always be in Detroit' MLive.com, April 26, 2012
- Tigers Al Alburquerque Undergoes Elbow Surgery to Fix Stress Fracture MLB.com December 16, 2011
- V-Mart could miss season because of ACL tear MLB.com January 17, 2012
- Tigers injury report MLB.com
- Tigers exercise 2012 team option on Valverde MLB.com October 28, 2011
- Tigers, Catcher Gerald Laird Reunite With One-Year Contract MLB.com November 18, 2011
- Tigers Add Five Prospects to 40-Man Roster MLB.com November 18, 2011
- Tigers re-sign Santiago to a two-year contract MLB.com November 30, 2011
- Tigers Sign Veteran Reliever Dotel For One Year MLB.com December 9, 2011
- Tigers Agree to Terms With Porcello, Coke MLB.com January 16, 2012
- Tigers Sign Remaining Arbitration-Eligible Trio MLB.com January 17, 2012
- Prince, Tigers reportedly reach nine-year deal MLB.com January 24, 2012
- Cabrera, Prince will anchor the corners for Tigers FoxSportsDetroit.com January 26, 2012
- Tigers Re-Acquire Zach Miner From Royals MLB.com April 20, 2012
- Tigers Swing Deal For Right-Hander Balester MLB.com December 9, 2011
- Rosecrans, C. Trent. CBS Sports, July 23, 2012. "Tigers land Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante from Marlins."
- Tigers acquire utilityman Baker from Cubs MLB.com, August 6, 2012
- Braves acquire Jeff Baker from Tigers CBSSports.com Retrieved on August 31, 2012
- Delmon suspended seven days by MLB MLB.com, April 30, 2012
- Fister sets AL strikeout mark against Royals MLB.com, September 27, 2012
- Miggy secures first Triple Crown since 1967 MLB.com, October 3, 3012
- Miggy beats Trout to add AL MVP to collection MLB.com, November 15, 2012
- Fall Classic foes Miggy, Posey win Aaron Award MLB.com, October 27, 2012
- Miggy, Prince are Silver Slugger winners MLB.com, November 8, 2012
- AL Strikeout Leaders CBS Sports
- David Price wins 2012 American League Cy Young Award cbssports.com on November 14, 2012
- Delmon Young delivers Game 1 victory to Detroit Tigers after Jose Valverde blows four-run lead MLive.com, October 14, 2012
- Clutch hitting earns Young ALCS MVP honors MLB.com, October 18, 2012
- Wilson names Jackson Tigers' top defensive player MLB.com, November 5, 2012
- Prince, Miggy, Verlander named AL All-Stars MLB.com, July 1, 2012
- Twice crowned: Tigers' first Derby winner a Prince MLB.com, July 9, 2012
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/d' not found.