The 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft was held from June 4 through June 6, 2012 from Studio 42 of the MLB Network in Secaucus, New Jersey. The Houston Astros, with the first overall pick, selected Carlos Correa from the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy and High School.
The draft order was determined by the 2011 Major League Baseball season standings. With the worst record in 2011, the Houston Astros received the first pick.
Also, teams can lose draft picks for signing certain free agents, while teams losing free agents will receive draft picks as compensation. The Elias Sports Bureau ranks all players based on performance over the past two seasons, with the top 20% being considered "Type A" and the next 20% considered "Type B". If a team offers a Type A free agent arbitration and he signs with another club, the player's former team obtains the new team's first- or second-round pick, depending on whether the new team is in the top 15 or bottom 15 in won-loss records in 2011, as well as a supplemental pick after the first round. If a team offers a Type B free agent arbitration and he signs with another club, the former team gets a supplemental pick after the first round. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement between MLB and the MLBPA announced on November 22, modified the compensation required for certain Type A players. Six Type A players became modified Type A free agents, meaning a team signing one of them was not required to forfeit a draft pick, but the team losing them will receive a draft pick in the slot immediately before the pick they would have received had the player actually had Type A status. Five further Type A players became modified Type B free agents, with compensation equivalent to other Type B free agents.
||Player did not sign
Supplemental first round
Steven "Paco" Rodriguez, selected by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second round, was promoted to the major leagues on September 5, 2012, becoming the first 2012 draftee to reach the majors.
The Rangers selected Jameis Winston in the 15th round of the draft. He did not sign, opting to enroll at Florida State University to play baseball and American football for the Florida State Seminoles. Winston won the 2013 Heisman Trophy and after an undefeated football season, led the Seminoles to a BCS National Championship victory over the Auburn Tigers, was the Seminoles' closer for the 2014 baseball season, and was the first overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.
- ^ "Blog | Baseball America Draft Blog | June 4 Draft Date Makes Stanek Ineligible". Baseball America. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Ultimate Astros » Astros clinch No. 1 pick in 2012 MLB draft". Blog.chron.com. 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "AL Elias rankings". USA Today. November 1, 2007. Retrieved October 31, 2011.
- ^ "Brewers have four ranked FAs". JSOnline. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ Nicholson-Smith, Ben. "Modified Procedure For Type A Free Agents". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- ^ Dilbeck, Steve. "Chad Billingsley's season ends; just-drafted Steven Rodriguez up". latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ Angert, Alex (2012-09-05). "Lefty Rodriguez is first 2012 draftee to reach bigs". mlb.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- ^ Dodd, Dennis (January 7, 2014). "Florida State fulfills BCS destiny in win over Auburn". CBS Sports. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- ^ Fraley, Gerry (January 5, 2014). "Rangers want to give Florida State's Jameis Winston opportunity to be two-sport star". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved January 7, 2013.