File:Comet P 2012 T7 (VOROBJOV).jpg|
Stack of 4x40s exposures by Andrea Boattini at Mt. Lemmon (G96)
0.8-m Schulman Telescope (G84)
|Discovery date||15 October 2012|
|P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)|
|Orbital characteristics A|
(2013 Jan. 28.0)
|Semi-major axis||5.39632 AU|
|Orbital period||12.50 a|
|Last perihelion||2013 Jan. 16.14|
276P/Vorobjov (previously P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)) is a Jupiter-family comet discovered on 15 October 2012 by Tomas Vorobjov on three 120-s images taken remotely using the 0.81-m f/7 Ritchey-Chretien Schulman Telescope located at the Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter via the Sierra Stars Observatory Network in the course of a minor-planet search survey undertaken as part of the International Astronomical Search Collaboration (IASC) school campaigns. After posting on the Minor Planet Center's NEOCP webpage, other observers have commented on the object's cometary appearance. The discovery was announced by the Minor Planet Center on 18 October, three days after the discovery.
On December 29, 2012, Robert Matson (Newport Coast, CA, USA) has identified NEAT observations of this comet obtained with the Palomar 1.2m Schmidt telescope on December 19, 2000 and January 20, 2001, and G. V. Williams (MPC) has confirmed the identity; Williams then identified prediscovery observations acquired by A. Boattini at Mount Lemmon (G96) on 2011 Nov 1. in incidental astrometry sent to the Minor Planet Center, when the object's magnitude was measured as being 21.1-21.8.
A confirmation set of images were taken by R. Holmes the following night with a 0.61-m f/4 astrograph from Westfield, IL (H21) and showed a 6″ coma and a tail 25″ long in PA 260°. Due to its cometary appearance, the object was posted on the NEO Confirmation Page under the temporary designation TOV7DD.
- P-2012 T7 discovery sequence.gif
Discovery sequence animation
- Confirmation of cometary features of TOV7DD.jpg
Confirmation of the cometary features of TOV7DD, by R. Holmes (H21)
- Preliminary orbit of Comet P 2012 T7 (VOROBJOV).png
Preliminary orbit diagram based on observations between 15-18 Octobter 2012
- "MPEC 2012-Y39: COMET P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)". IAU Minor Planet Center. 2012-11-16. Retrieved 2012-12-30.
- "276P/Vorobjov Orbit". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "New Comet: P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)". Remanzacco. 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "New comet P/2012 T7 (Vorobjov)". Luca Buzzi. 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-10-19.
- "MPEC 2012-U40 : COMET P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)". IAU Minor Planet Center. 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- MPEC 2012-U40 : COMET P/2012 T7 (VOROBJOV)
- Orbital simulation from JPL (Java) / Horizons Ephemeris
- Elements and Ephemeris for 276P/Vorobjov – Minor Planet Center