Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for 41st Air Refueling Squadron

41st Air Refueling Squadron

41st Air Refueling Squadron 60px
250px
Emblem of the 41st Air Refueling Squadron
Active 1958-1993
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Refueling

The 41st Air Refueling Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 380th Operations Group, stationed at Griffiss AFB, New York. It was inactivated on 15 February 1993.

History

World War II

File:41st Bombardment Squadron - Emblem.png
41st Bombardment Squadron emblem

Activated 1 April 1944 at Dalhart Army Airfield, Texas. Initially equipped with B-17 Flying Fortresses for training, due to shortage of B-29 Superfortresses. Moved to Harvard Army Airfield, Nebraska, in August 1944 and equipped with B-29B limited production aircraft.

After completion of training deployed to Central Pacific Area (CPA), assigned to XXI Bomber Command, Northwest Field (Guam) for operational missions. B-29Bs were standard production aircraft stripped of most defensive guns to increase speed and bomb load, The tail gun was aimed and fired automatically by the new AN/APG-15B radar fire control system that detected the approaching enemy plane and made all the necessary calculations.

Mission of the squadron was the strategic bombardment of the Japanese Home Islands. Dntered combat on 16 June 1945 with a bombing raid against an airfield on Moen. Flew first mission against the Japanese home islands on 26 June 1945 and afterwards operated principally against the enemy's petroleum industry. Flew primarily low-level, fast attacks at night using a mixture of high-explosive and incendary bombs to attack targets.

Flew last combat mission on 15 August 1945, later flew in "Show of Force" mission on 2 September 1945 over Tokyo Bay during formal Japanese Surrender. Inactivated on Guam 15 April 1946, personnel returned to the United States and aircraft sent to storage in Southwest United States.

Air Force Reserve

Allotted to the Air Force Reserve as a Tactical Air Command B-26 Invader light bomb group in 1947. Inactivated in 1949 due to budget restrictions.

Cold War

Stationed at Griffiss AFB, the squadron provided air refueling to Strategic Air Command and other tactical aircraft using KC-135 Stratotankers (1966-1976) on a worldwide scale.

Lineage

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

See also

Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.

References

Notes

Bibliography

12px This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External links