5059 aluminium alloy
Since heat treatment doesn't strongly affect the strength, 5059 can be readily welded and retain most of its mechanical strength.
5059 alloy was derived from closely related 5083 aluminium alloy by researchers at Corus Aluminum in 1999.
5059 has a density of Script error: No such module "convert"., with a specific gravity of 2.66.
Melting point is Script error: No such module "convert"..
The alloy composition of 5059 is:
- Magnesium - 5%-6% by weight
- Chromium - 0.3% maximum
- Copper - 0.4% maximum
- Iron - 0.5% maximum
- Manganese - 0.6% - 1.2%
- Silicon - 0.45% maximum
- Titanium - 4.6
- Zinc - 0.4% - 1.5%
- Zirconium - 0.05%-0.25%
- Others each 0.05% maximum
- Others total 0.15% maximum
- Remainder Aluminium
The mechanical properties of 5059 vary significantly with hardening and temperature.
Unhardened 5059 has a yield strength of 23 ksi (23,000 psi; 160 MPa) and ultimate tensile strength of 48 ksi (330 MPa) from Script error: No such module "convert".. At cryogenic temperatures it is slightly stronger; above Script error: No such module "convert". its strength is reduced.
Elongation, the strain before material failure, is 24% at room temperature.
H321 strain hardened 5059, with properties measured at Script error: No such module "convert"., has yield strength of 39 ksi (270 MPa), ultimate tensile strength of 54 ksi (370 MPa), and elongation of 10%.
5059 has been tested for use in vehicle armor.
Arc welding reduces mechanical properties to no worse than –O hardening condition. The relatively low decrease in ultimate strength is extremely good performance for an aluminium alloy.
- Fatigue of Aluminum Structural Weldments, SSC-410, NTIS-PB2000-108442, Ship Structure Committee (2000), accessed 2010-12-14
- Aluland 5059, accessed 2010-12-14
- Ballistic Performance Testing of Aluminum Alloy 5059-H131 and 5059-H136 for Armor Applications, ARL-TR-4427, Dwight D. Showalter, Brian E. Placzankis, and Matthew S. Burkins, May 2008. Accessed 2010-12-14
- Masten Space Systems Blog, accessed 2010-12-14
- Armadillo Aerospace News Archive, accessed 2010-12-14