|File:AAH Pharmaceuticals logo.png|
|Industry||Pharmaceuticals and healthcare|
|Predecessor||Amalgamated Anthracite Holdings Limited|
|Founded||29 June 1923|
|Headquarters||Coventry, England, United Kingdom|
Number of locations
(Group Managing Director)
AAH is the largest pharmaceutical wholesaler in the United Kingdom. With 3,800 employees and 20 locations across the UK over a suite of subsidiaries and brands, AAH is the nation's leading distributor of pharmaceutical and healthcare products and services to pharmacies, hospitals and doctors.
AAH makes over 100,000 deliveries a week and stocks over 20,000 products. The company’s strapline is ‘All About Health’, which reflects the business focus on healthcare products and services. AAH is the only full line pharmaceutical wholesaler with comprehensive national reach including Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
The AAH group includes several different branches: Enterprise, Trident Pharmaceuticals, Wilkinson Healthcare and Dextrous solutions. Enterprise is the leading wholesaler of health and beauty products to over 5000 independent pharmacies in the UK. Trident is one of the leading shortline suppliers to independent pharmacies in the UK. Wilkinson Healthcare provides independent pharmacies with surgical services. Dextrous provides logistical services to manufacturers looking for more integrated and specialised delivery of their products.
AAH originates back to 1892, when Cleeves Company was formed in Wales, owning about 7,000 acres of land. It merged with two other local companies, Gurnos and Gellveeidrim, to form Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited.
The Chairman of the company was Alfred Mond, 1st Baron Melchett and it was floated on the Stock Exchange on 29 June 1923. The registered office was 29/30 King Street, Cheapside, London. Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Limited held its first company meeting on 5 September 1923 at the Cannon Street Hotel. On 1 July 1927, the company merged with United Anthracite Collieries Limited to become known as A.A.C Anthracite, based at 120 Fenchurch Street.
AAH’s original business was producing and distributing anthracite and other solid fuels across South Wales. The company later diversified its interests in different markets including health services, building materials, transport, warehousing and environmental services (landscape conservation and waste disposal). In 1954, it was agreed to change the company name to Amalgamated Anthracite Holdings Limited (AAH). In early 1971 the company abbreviated its name to AAH Limited.
In 1976, AAH sold off its interests in fuel and building materials. Healthcare services became the company’s main business activity. AAH expanded its pharmaceutical interest by taking over a large number of businesses including Chemists Holding and Hills Pharmaceuticals.
AAH Limited became a constituent company of AAH Holdings in 1981, based in London. In 1985 the headquarters of AAH Holdings plc moved to the south of Lincoln. By the late 1980s, when based in Lincoln, the holding company was turning over £1 billion.
In 1985 AAH acquired pharmaceutical wholesaler Vestric Limited from GlaxoSmithKline, which continued the company’s growth and led to the formation of AAH Pharmaceuticals Limited.
The company was bought by Celesio AG in 1995 (formerly GEHE AG,) and the headquarters moved to Manor Park in Runcorn, north Cheshire. In 1999 the headquarters moved to Coventry, where they remain today.
The head office is situated off the A4600 (former A46) south of junction 2 (M69) of the M6 in the north of Coventry on the Coventry Walsgrave Triangle.