AOL Mail screenshot|
A screenshot of a AOL Mail inbox in January 2014.
Type of site
|Web application (E-mail, webmail)|
|Available in||54 languages|
|Launched||21 March 1993|
AOL Mail is a free web-based email (webmail) service provided by AOL. The service is sometimes referred to as AIM Mail where AIM stands for AOL Instant Messenger which is AOL's instant messaging service. During the summer of 2012, AOL Mail got a new look, its first significant overhaul in five years.
AOL Mail has the following features available at no cost:
- Email storage capacity: unlimited
- Email attachment limit: 25 MB
- Account expiry on inactivity: 90 days
- Supported protocols: POP3, SMTP, IMAP 
- Link to other email accounts from other service providers (such as Gmail and Hotmail).
- Ads: are displayed while working with the e-mail account. Embedded links within emails are automatically disabled and can only be activated by the email user.
- Spam protection
- Virus protection
- Spell checking
- AIM Panel with a full buddy list, and indicators to show presence of online buddies, as well as shortcuts to sponsored popular web sites.
- email unsend capability (for mails sent to another AOL or AIM mailbox)
- Domains: @aol.com and additionally @love.com, @ygm.com (short for you've got mail), @games.com, and @wow.com
- Supports SSL/HTTPS after login
AOL Project Phoenix
The new email program by AOL features a Quick Bar where emails, text messages, and AOL Instant Messenger messages can be sent from one area. It also lets people add up to five accounts into it. It features a search feature that will load photos, attachments, addresses, and dates from emails. It is currently being tested and can only be accessed by an invitation.
AOL has stopped work on Project Phoenix, sometime in September 2011 
- "Larger Attachments Rolling Forward". mailblog.aol.com. 2010-01-11. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- "Does my AOL Mail account get deactivated if I don't use it for 90 days". help.aol.com. 2014-10-12. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- AOL's 'Project Phoenix' e-mail overhaul is here, CNET, 2010-10-14, retrieved 2011-03-09
- "Use AOL Mail and Spam Controls". Help.channels.aol.com. Archived from the original on 2009-06-21. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- "America Online Acquires Mailblocks". August 4, 2004. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- [dead link]
- AOL Mail
- AOL Mail Basic
- AIM Mail and AOL Mail Tips, Tricks and Secrets
- AOL Project Phoenix Info
- AOL Mail Login (Step-by-Step Guide)