|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Used by||British Army|
|Manufacturer||Royal Small Arms Factory|
The ARWEN 37 is a non-lethal launcher which fires 37 mm non-lethal rounds (foam or wooden or tear gas payload) designed for riot control. It has a 5-round rotary drum magazine. "ARWEN" is an acronym for "Anti Riot Weapon ENfield".
It was designed in 1977 by the British Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) Enfield, then part of the Royal Ordnance Factories. It came out of a British Military request for a multi-shot riot control weapon to replace the single-shot Federal Riot Gun. Three prototypes were designed and tested: one semi-automatic, one rotary-drum, and one pump-action. At the end of testing the rotary-drum model was put into production. The case has a rebated rim, so although the projectiles are comparable with other 37mm riot control weapons, the loaded rounds are quite different.
As of 2001, all ARWEN trademarks and patents are owned by Police Ordnance Company Inc. The weapon is manufactured under license in Canada.
Sage Control Ordnance, Inc., located in Oscoda, Michigan has been producing less-lethal 37mm Sage Rifled (ARWEN 37 compatible) munitions since the 1991 for law enforcement use only. Current production includes the following 9 munition variants:
- KO1 - Standard Impact Baton
- KO2 - CS Smoke
- KO3 - Irritant Impact Baton
- KO4 - White & Colored Screening Smoke
- BP5 - Irritant, Barricade Penetrating
- KO6 - Irritant, Muzzle Blast
- KO7 - Multi-Ball Area Impact
- KO8 - Soft Tip Impact Baton
- KO9 - Sub-caliber Training/Marking
Sage also produces a variety of projectile launchers chambered for 37mm Sage Rifled (ARWEN 37 compatible) munitions.
- Anthony G Williams. "Less-lethal Ammunition".
- Bishop, Chris & Drury, Ian(November 1987).Combat Guns.London: Book Sales, ISBN 1-55521-161-5
- Police Ordnance product description
- Arwen 37: info & image
- Arwen 37T Tactical: info & image
- Arwen 37S Shorty: info & image
- Types of ammunition that ARWEN ACE & ARWEN 37 can fire
- History of the ARWEN 37
- [dead link]
- ARWEN 37
- Big image, without magazine
- With magazine
- redirect Template:Firearms-stub
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.