ATM Class 1500
|This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2014)|
|ATM Class 1500|
Car no. 1503 restored
|Manufacturer||Breda, Carminati & Toselli, Lodigiane, OM, Reggiane, Tallero|
|Length||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Wheelbase||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Weight||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Passenger capacity seats||29|
|Passenger capacity standing||101|
|Maximum speed||42 km/h|
|Engine power||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Traction motors||TIBB Milano 28, Ansaldo LC 221|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Gauge||1,445 mm (4 ft 8 7⁄8 in)|
In the 1920s, the increasing traffic on the Milan urban tramway network made pressing the substitution of the old tramcars ″type Edison″. The municipal tram office decided to project a new type of tramcars, built on two bogies, taking as model the Peter Witt streetcars built in Cleveland and in other cities of the United States.
After a few tests, the construction of a 500 units stock (numbered 1503 to 2002) began, divided between several manufacturers:
- the Società Italiana Carminati & Toselli built 110 units (1503 to 1612);
- the Società Italiana Ernesto Breda built 110 units (1613 to 1722);
- the Officine Meccaniche di Reggio Emilia built 50 units (1723 to 1772);
- the Officine Meccaniche built 110 units (1773 to 1882);
- the Officine Elettroferroviarie Tallero built 110 units (1883 to 1992);
- the Officine Meccaniche Lodigiane built 10 units (1993 to 2002).
The cars were delivered in 1929–1930 and immediately put into service. In 1932–1935 some cars were equipped with an experimental half door at the tail, and from 1938 to 1940 with a definitive entire door; the Peter Witt system were therefore abandoned after a few years of service.
During the Second World War many cars were seriously damaged, but only one unit had to be demolished, the others being repaired or reconstructed from 1945 to 1949.
From 1970 on, the traditional green livery (introduced in 1930) was abandoned, and a new orange one introduced; from 1972 the traditional trolley pole was substituted by a pantograph. Since 1976 some cars were put aside and later demolished. Nowadays circa 100 units are still in service, repainted in the last years in a white and yellow livery already used on the prototypes.
- JHM-1967-0578 - Milan Tramway.jpg
No. 1544 in green livery
- Milan Tram PW 1577.jpg
No. 1577 in orange livery
Two damaged units were used in 1984 to arrange a low-floor prototype, the car no. 4500.
Some units are used for special purposes, as the ″white tram″, the school tram (″Scuolaintram″) and the restaurant tram (″ATMosfera″).
Two units have been restored, respectively in the original state with only two doors, and in the state of the 1950s in green livery.
Car no. 1692 was partially rebuilt for double-ended "keep left" operation in Australia, and ran briefly in Melbourne. It is now at the Sydney Tram Museum.
- Giovanni Cornolò, Giuseppe Severi: Tram e tramvie a Milano 1840-1987. Azienda Trasporti Municipali, Milan 1987.
- Guido Boreani: Un tram che si chiama Milano. Calosci, Cortona 1995. ISBN 8877851139.