Judge during spring training in 2015
New York Yankees
Born: April 26, 1992|
Aaron J. Judge (born April 26, 1992) is an American professional baseball outfielder in Minor League Baseball. He is a member of the New York Yankees' organization and is largely regarded as one of their top prospects. Prior to his professional career, Judge played college baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs of California State University, Fresno.
Judge attended Linden High School in Linden, California, where he was a three-sport star. He was recruited by colleges to play American football, but he preferred baseball. He was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the 31st round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, but opted to attend college. He enrolled at Fresno State, where he played college baseball for the Fresno State Bulldogs baseball team in the Mountain West Conference. Louisville Slugger named him a Freshman All-American. He was the winner of the 2012 TD Ameritrade College Home Run Derby. In his junior year, Judge led the Bulldogs in home runs, doubles, and runs batted in (RBIs). Judge was named All-Mountain West Conference in all three seasons he played for the Bulldogs.
The Yankees drafted Judge in the first round, with the 32nd overall selection, of the 2013 Major League Baseball Draft. Judge signed with the Yankees, receiving a $1.8 million signing bonus. He tore a quadriceps femoris muscle while participating in a baserunning drill, which kept him out of the 2013 season. He made his professional debut with the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League in 2014. He had a .333 batting average, .428 on-base percentage (OBP), .530 slugging percentage (SLG), and hit nine home runs with 45 RBIs in 65 games for Charleston. The Yankees promoted him to the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League during the season, where he hit .283 with a .411 OBP, .442 SLG, eight home runs, and 33 RBIs in 66 games.
Judge is listed at Script error: No such module "convert". and Script error: No such module "convert".. Due to his large size and strength, he has elicited comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, Dave Winfield, and Willie Stargell.
Judge was adopted by Patty and Wayne Judge, who both worked as teachers, the day after he was born. He has an older brother, John, who was also adopted.
- "South Atlantic League notes: New York Yankees' Aaron Judge looming large with RiverDogs". MiLB.com. May 15, 2014. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Feinsand, Mark (March 7, 2015). "Yankees prospect Aaron Judge has a huge future in pinstripes". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "Bulldogs' Judge takes College Home Run Derby title". Omaha.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "MLB draft: Fresno State's Aaron Judge looks like a first-round pick". Fresno Bee. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "Yanks come to terms with first-round pick Judge". New York Yankees. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Kuty, Brendan (February 5, 2015). "Yankees spring training: Aaron Judge, Luis Severino headline non-roster invitees". NJ.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- "Aaron Judge hits 3-run homer as Thunder open with win". trentonian.com. April 10, 2015. Retrieved April 11, 2015.
- Kernan, Kevin (March 11, 2015). "‘Blessed’ Yankees prospect elicits Stargell, Stanton comps". New York Post. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)