Action of 23 March 1654
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2009)|
The Action of March 23, 1654 is the name given to a naval battle which took place near Colombo, Ceylon, when a force of 5 Portuguese galleons which were escorting 5 merchant galliots to Colombo, fought its way through a Dutch blockading squadron of 3 ships. 2 of the Dutch ships were captured, but the Portuguese in the confusion of having their 2 top officers killed, these ships were recaptured. They ran aground but were refloated.
- Nazaré 42 (flag, António Pereira)
- São João 38 (second flag, Álvaro de Novais)
- Santo António de Mazagão 36 (António Sottomaior)
- São José 34 (Francisco Machado Deca)
- São Filipe e Santiago 24 (António de Abreu)
- Windhond (flag?)
- Renoçer (Rhinoceros) (second flag?)
- Drommedaris (yacht)
Renoçer and probably Windhond were the captured ships.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.