Active Interest Media
|Founder||Wind Point Partners, Efrem Zimbalist|
|Headquarters||Flatiron Parkway, Boulder|
Efrem Zimbalist III CEO|
Andy Clurman COO
Brian Selstrom CFO
Pat Fox VP/GM Operations
Jason Brown VP/GM Digital
|Owner||Wind Point Partners|
Number of employees
Active Interest Media (AIM) is a publisher specialized on "niche enthusiast magazines" (i.e. magazines targeted at hobbyists). The company was formed in 2003 by private-equity investment firm Wind Point Partners by the acquisition of Sabot Publishing, a "special interest" publisher based in Richmond, VA which had been established in 1999 by James Causey and Colonnade Capital. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer is Efrem Zimbalist III (the son of Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.), formerly of Times Mirror Magazines, a subsidiary of Times Mirror.
Active Interest Media publications are organized in six "groups",
- Healthy Living Group (nutrition, wellness, yoga, body building, martial arts); besides magazines, they also market martial arts videos and books
- Home Buyer Group (home improvement, architecture, interior design etc.); they also organise "log-home show seminars"
- Marine Group (sailing, yachts, etc.) they are involved with the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (FLIBS) in Florida, the Yacht and Brokerage Show in Miami, the Palm Beach Boat Show, the Suncoast Boat Show in Sarasota, and the St. Petersburg Boat Show.
- Outdoor Group (hiking, backpacking, climbing)
- Mountain Group (snow sports) Ski Magazine and Warren Miller Entertainment; producers of outdoor/winter sports movies and TV shows
On 30 April 2013, Active Interest Media purchased Warren Miller Entertainment and Nastar.
- "Sabot Publishing Inc. was acquired by Cruz Bay Publishing Inc. Sabot was established by Commonwealth Investors II in during 1999 as a media company whose objective is to acquire leading specialty magazines. Sabot's principal focus is on consumer magazines with circulation under 100,000 which are leaders in their market niche. Sabot Communications has acquired Black Belt magazine, a martial arts publication, Ohara Publications, Southwest Art magazine, and Garlinghouse." insideview.com 2013-02-06. "Cruz Bay Publishing, a subsidiary of newly created Active Interest Media (AIM), is headed by Efrem 'Skip' Zimbalist III" AIM press release
- PixelMags Signs Another Content Partner for Readr(R): Active Interest Media Commits Their Entire Portfolio for AnyTime(R) (press release, marketwatch.com)