Adyar Cancer Institute
|Adyar Cancer Institute|
|Location||Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Lists||Hospitals in India|
The Institute has several other firsts to its credit. They include:
- A department of Nuclear Medical Oncology in 1956;
- Paediatric oncology in 1960;
- Installing a linear accelerator in 1976;
- Introducing Blood Component Therapy in 1978;
- Introducing hyperthermia treatment in 1984;
- Installing an ND-YAG Surgical Laser in 1985 and performing endoscopic laser surgery;
- Intra-operative Electron Therapy is available since 1992.
- First in the country to introduce RapidArc treatment in January 2009
- First in the country to start M.Phil Psycho-oncology in August 2011
The Institute has a hospital, a research centre, a centre of preventive oncology, and a College of Oncology Sciences (a postgraduate college that conducts super-speciality courses in surgical oncology, medical oncology, oncological nursing, Medical Physics and Psycho-oncology).
Its centre for preventive oncology has been working in conjunction with non-government organisations and government hospitals to conduct cancer screening camps and Pap smear tests at the district level and in various parts of the city.
The Institute's hereditary cancer clinic, the first in the country, is studying the genetic factors related to the disease.
The Tobacco Cessation Clinic has been helping people to fight various forms of tobacco consumption, which is the most common cause for cancer. It is now renamed as Resource Centre for Tobacco Control (RCTC).
The Institute has 423 beds, of which 297 are free. Generally, 66% of them get free or subsidised treatment.
In 2012, the institute obtained Robio, an indigenously-developed robotic equipment by Chennai-based healthcare company Perfint, in order to facilitate greater precision in conducting biopsies and delivering palliative care.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/aliases' not found.
- "Make Adyar Cancer institute Centre of Excellence: Jaya to PM". Deccan Herald (Chennai: Deccan Herald). 22 March 2013. Retrieved 24 Mar 2013.
- Cancer Institute sets up satellite centre at Pallikaranai
- "Now, robots to help fight cancer too". IBN Live South (Chennai: Express News Service). 16 February 2012. Retrieved 15 Sep 2012.