Aerospace Medical Association
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014)|
|File:Aerospace Medical Association logo.png|
|2,200 as of 2014|
|Kris M. Belland, DO, MBA, MPH, MSS, CPE, FAsMA (2015-16)|
|Jeffrey Sventek, M.S., CAsP|
Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine (until 2015),Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance (since 2015)
The Aerospace Medical Association (AsMA) is the largest professional organization in the fields of aviation, space, and environmental medicine. The AsMA membership includes aerospace and hyperbaric medical specialists, scientists, flight nurses, physiologists, and researchers from all over the world.
The AsMA was found under the guidance of Louis H. Bauer, M.D. in 1929. Dr. Bauer was the first medical director of the Aeronautics Branch of the Department of Commerce which became the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The original 29 "aeromedical examiners" started the organization for the "dissemination of information, as it will enhance the accuracy of their specialized art...thereby affording a greater guarantee for the safety of the public and the pilot, alike; and to cooperate... in furthering the progress of aeronautics in the United States." Hubertus Strughold, the "Father of Space Medicine", co-founded of the Space Medicine Branch of the AsMA in 1950.
The AsMA has more than 2,200 members, approximately 25% of the membership is international from over 70 countries.
The AsMA produces many publications including:
- Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine - A peer reviewed monthly publication that was first published in 1975 and is indexed in PubMed. (ISSN: 0095-6562)
- Aerospace medicine - The preceding journal to Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine was published from 1959 to 1974. (ISSN: 0001-9402)
- The Journal of aviation medicine - The preceding journal to Aerospace medicine was published from 1930 to 1959. (ISSN: 0095-991X)
- Medical Guidelines for Airline Passengers
- Medical Guidelines for Airline Travel
- Useful Tips for Airline Travel
- Education and Training Committee Aerospace Medicine PowerPoint slides
Other publications in aerospace medicine:
- Guidance for Medical Screening of Commercial Aerospace Passengers
- Index of International Publications in Aerospace Medicine
- A Milestone of Aeromedical Research Contributions to Civil Aviation Safety
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.
- Aerospace Medical Association. "About the AsMA". Archived from the original on 9 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-05.
- "Medical guidelines for air travel. Aerospace Medical Association, Air Transport Medicine Committee, Alexandria, Va". Aviat Space Environ Med 67 (10 Suppl): B1–16. October 1996. PMID 9025825.
- AsMA Homepage
- Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine Journal - Volume 74, Number 1, January 2003 to current
- Aerospace Medical Association Records, Wright State University
- Space Medicine Branch of the Aerospace Medical Association Papers, Wright State University