Ahmad Y. al-Hassan
|This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2010)|
Ahmad Yousef Al-Hassan (Arabic: أحمد يوسف الحسن) (June 25, 1925 - April 28, 2012 ) was Palestinian/Syrian/Canadian historian of Arabic and Islamic science and technology, educated in Jerusalem, Cairo and London with a Ph.D. in Mechanical engineering from University College London. He was Dean of Engineering and later President of the University of Aleppo where he founded the Institute for the History of Arabic Science (IHAS) and was its first director. He also served as Minister of Petroleum, Electricity and Mineral Resources of Syria prior to 1971.
He migrated to Canada in 1982 and settled there, The scientific endeavours of Professor Ahmed Y. al-Hassan earned him many prestigious awards from several countries. He was a distinguished author on the subject of history of science and technology and his books have been translated into many languages.
Here a list of his main accomplishments and achievements:
- Visiting Professor at the Department for the History and Philosophy of Science, University College, London
- Member of the International Scientific Committee of the UNESCO’s project: The Different Aspects of Islamic Culture, and the chief editor of Volume IV: Science and Technology in Islam 
- Visiting Professor at the Department of Middle East and Islamic Studies, University of Toronto
- Associate of the Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology at the University of Toronto
- Member of the editorial committee of the Journal of the History of Arabic Science (JHAS)
- Past member of the Advisory Committee of the United Nations University, Tokyo
- Corresponding member of the International Academy of the History of Science
- Corresponding Member of the Iraqi Academy
- Professor Emeritus of the Institute for the History of Arabic Science (IHAS), University of Aleppo
- Recipient of the Ordre National de la Légion d'honneur of the French Republic
- Canada. "globeandmail.com: Ahmad Yousef al-Hassan Gabarin Professor of Mechanical Engineering". V1.theglobeandmail.com. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "History Of Science And Technology In Islam". History-science-technology.com. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Different Aspects of Islamic Cultures: International Scientific Committee". Unesco.org. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
- "Different Aspects of Islamic Cultures: Volume IV". Unesco.org. Retrieved 2013-03-12.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.