Air Force Logistics Command
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Air Force Logistics Command|
Air Force Logistics Command
United States Army Air Forces (1944–1947)|
United States Air Force (1947–1992)
|Role||Logistics, Depot-Level aircraft maintenance|
|Garrison/HQ||Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio|
Air Force Logistics Command (AFLC) was a United States Air Force command. Its headquarters was located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. On July 1, 1992, AFLC and Air Force Systems Command were merged to form the Air Force Materiel Command, also located at Wright-Patterson AFB.
Although the logistics function can be traced before the earliest days of the Air Service, when the Equipment Division of the U.S. Army Signal Corps established a headquarters for its new Airplane Engineering Department at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, a World War I experimental engineering facility, the functional antecedents of Air Force Logistics Command (AFLC) usually are not traced beyond October 15, 1926, when the Materiel Division was set up near Dayton, Ohio. The Materiel Division, controlled by the Office of the Chief of the Air Corps (OCAC), possessed many characteristics of a major command. It brought together four major functions performed previously by three organizations: research and development (R&D), procurement, supply, and maintenance.
On December 11, 1941, with United States newly engaged in World War II, these four functions were divided between two organizations. The Materiel Command assumed responsibility for R&D and procurement, and the Air Service Command assumed the supply and maintenance functions. Redesignated "AAF Materiel and Services" in July 1944, the two commands were subsequently abolished on August 31, 1944. That day the organization was redesignated Army Air Forces Technical Service Command.
The functions of research and development and logistics were operated separately during World War II until they were reunited for several years in the late 1940s under Air Materiel Command. Among its forces was the Air Materiel Force, European Area, which was transferred from USAFE in on 1 January 1956. Air Materiel Force, European Area, at Châteauroux-Déols Air Base, France, and Air Materiel Force, Pacific Area, at Tachikawa Air Base, Japan, were of Numbered Air Force status. Often these formations supervised Air Depot Wings, for example the 75th Air Depot Wing which was based at Chinhae Air Base in South Korea during the Korean War.
In 1950, research and development were split off into a separate formation, the Air Research and Development Command. From the early 1950s to 1962, the 3079th Aviation Depot Wing under AMC, headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, was a weapons of mass destruction unit of key strategic importance. It was active until 1962.
In 1961, Air Materiel Command became the Air Force Logistics Command, while the Air Research and Development Command gained responsibility for weapon system acquisition and was renamed the Air Force Systems Command. On July 1, 1992, the Air Force Logistics Command and Air Force Systems Command were reintegrated to form the new Air Force Materiel Command.
- Established as Army Air Forces Materiel and Services on July 14, 1944
- Organized as a major command on July 17, 1944
- Redesignated: Army Air Forces Technical Service Command on August 31, 1944
- Redesignated: Air Technical Service Command on July 1, 1945
- Redesignated: Air Materiel Command on March 9, 1946
- Redesignated: Air Force Logistics Command on April 1, 1961
- Inactivated on July 1, 1992
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Portal/images/u' not found.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1996), The Organization and Lineage of the United States Air Force. United States Air Force Historical Research Center ISBN 0-912799-17-X
- "Air Force Logistics Command Fact Sheet". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- Elliot V. Converse III, Rearming for the Cold War 1945 -- 1960, Government Printing Office