|Name meaning||the ruin of reed huts|
|Also spelled||Khirbat Khisâs|
|Date of depopulation||November 4–5, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
Al-Khisas contained remnants of wells and burial grounds, which indicated earlier inhabitation. The modern village was classified as a hamlet in the Palestine Index Gazetter, and was built after World War I Farmers from neighboring areas first built temporary huts at the site to shelter themselves during the harvest, gradually they settled and built adobe houses.
The population, who were Muslim, numbered 150 in 1945. They relied on neighboring villages Al-Jura and Ni'ilya for medical, educational and administrative services. In 1944/45 a total of 191 dunums of village land was allocated to citrus and bananas, while 419 dunums were used for cereal farming. 2,671 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 372
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 46
- Morris, 2004, p. xix, village #308. Also gives the cause for depopulation].
- Khalidi, 1992, p.123
- al-Khisas, Palestine Remembered, retrieved 2009-10-22
- Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 283. Quoted in Khalidi, 1992, p. 123
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 87
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922 (PDF). Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1883). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 3. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To al-Khisas
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 20: IAA, Wikimedia commons
- al-Khisas from the Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.