Alagappa College of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Alagappa College of Technology|
Alagappa College of Technology is an educational institution that offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences. The college was established in 1944 and was integrated with Anna University in 1978 from University of Madras as a constituent part of Anna University.
While traveling by train during the 1940s, A. Lakshmanaswami Mudaliar, Vice Chancellor of Madras University, had a casual conversation with Alagappa Chettiar and mentioned his interest of starting technology related courses in Chennai. The casual talk inspired the philanthropist, and he donated an amount of five hundred thousand Indian rupees for the formation of a college. This led to the establishment of Alagappa College of Technology.
There are Six departments in Alagappa College of Technology.
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Applied science and technology
- Department of Textile Technology
- Center for Bio-Technology
- Department of Ceramic Technology
- Department of Leather Technology
The department of chemical engineering was established in 1944 under the University of Madras. In 1978, the department was transferred to the then newly formed Anna University. The department which started with an undergraduate course in chemical engineering now offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in chemical, petroleum refining and petrochemicals, and environmental science and technology.
In the early days of the college research was carried out in the conventional areas of chemical engineering like Absorption, Adsorption, Liquid-liquid extraction, and Fluid Dynamics. Over the period of years the areas of research have moved in line with developments in the chemical process industries. The department focuses on areas like Nanofiltration, Bioengineering and Environmental systems.
The department offers two undergraduate courses:
- B.Tech - Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech - Petroleum Refining and Petrochemical Technology (Discontinued from the year 2012)
and three postgraduate courses:
- M.Tech - Chemical Engineering
- M.Tech - Petroleum Refining and Petrochemical Technology
- M.Tech - Environmental Science and Engineering
Department of Textile Technology
The Department of Textile Technology was established in 1945 under the University of Madras. The department houses laboratories such as Spinning Lab, Weaving Lab, Chemical processing Lab, Quality Assurance and Testing Lab, Knitting Lab, Garment Lab and CAD Lab. It offers undergraduate and post graduate courses in Textile Technology and Apparel Technology.
The Center for Biotechnology was established in 1987 in Anna University with financial support from the Department of Biotechnology, University Grants Commission and Anna University. The center has abuilding of about 1000 square metres sponsored by Southern Petrochemicals Corporation Limited at Taramani Campus with facilities for carrying out research in biotechnology, Bioprocess technology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology, etc.
The Administrative building is located in the main campus at Guindy, and a separate academic complex offers teaching programs. The department offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in industrial biotechnology, Food Technology and Pharmaceutical Technology. It also offers a postgraduate program in Computational Biology which is a network program conducted by Pondicherry University-Madurai Kamaraj University and anna University. It is the first of its kind in India started by DBT, India. And it is upgraded to M.Tech computational biology from the academic year 2014 in collaboration with Pondicherry university.
Department of Ceramic Technology
Anna University started a M.Tech Degree Programme in Ceramic Technology in the Department of Chemical Engineering in 1990 with financial support of Rs.50 lakhs from M/s Carborundum Universal Ltd, Chennai. The Division of Ceramic Technology was formed in 1993. A B.Tech Programme in Ceramic Technology was started in 1996 with financial support of Rs.25 lakhs from M/s Carborundum Universal Ltd., Chennai.
Department of Applied Sciences and Technology
The Department of Applied Sciences was established in 2013. The only undergraduate course taught under this department is Petroleum Engineering and Technology, which is a self-supporting course.
- N. Srinivasan India Cements
- M. S. Ananth IIT Madras
- M.Murugappan Murugappa Group
- Y.G.Mahendra Tamil and Malayalam Actor
- N Shankar Chemplast Sanmar
- G V Prasad, Dr.Reddys labs
- Bharathi Baskar, Renowned Tamil Speaker
- Thirumalachari Ramasami, Secretary to Government of India,Department of Science and Technology
Sponsored by chemical batch of 2005-2009, a website for ACTech Alumni has been started from the year 2011.
- "Engagements / Chennai : In Chennai Today". The Hindu. 2007-02-24. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : "Industrial boom will die if chemical engineers opt out of their field"". The Hindu. 2008-02-21. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- College website
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of leather technology, at Central Leather Research Institute
- A.C.Tech Alumni Chemical Group