|Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim Part of a series on Shīa Islam
|Ismail lion calligram|
The Alavi Bohras are a Taiyabi Mustaali Ismaili Shi'i Muslim community from Gujarat, India. In India, during the time of the 18th Fatimid Imam Ma'ad al-Mustansir Billah around 1093 AD, the designated learned people (wulaat) who were sent from Yemen by the celebrated missionaries under the guidance of the Imam established a Dawah in Khambhat.
After the division of the Mustaalid community, the Yemenite Dawah followed at-Tayyib Abi l-Qasim as their Imam, and the Bohras are the modern descendants of Taiyabi converts and immigrants.
Subsequently, splits occurred at various instances in the mainstream Bohra community regarding the spiritual appointment in the succession of the representative of the Imam or Da’i in Ahmedabad between 1422-1640 AD. Two major splits during this period resulted in the formation of three major groups of Bohras: Alavis, Dawoodis and Sulaymanis.
One Dai succeeded another until the 23rd Dai in Yemen. In India also Wali-ul-Hind were appointed by them one after another until Wali-ul-Hind Moulai Jafer, Moulai Abdul Wahab and Moulai Qasim Khan bin Hasan (11th and last Wali-ul-Hind, d.950AH, Ahmedabad). The last three wali were of great help in the era of the 21st to 24th Dai. It was during this time when the Dawat was transferred to India from Yemen, that the 23rd Dai-al-Mutlaq Mohammed Ezzuddin performed nass (transfer of authority) on Yusuf Najmuddin ibn Sulaiman in Sidhpur, Gujrat, India.
Due to persecution by the local Zaydi Shi'a ruler in Yemen, the 24th Dai, Yusuf Najmuddin bin Sulayman (d.1567 AD), shifted the whole administration of the Dawat (mission) to India but continued to live in Yemen and died there. The 25th Dai Jalal Shamshuddin (d.1567 AD) was first dai to die in India; his mausoleum is in Ahmedabad, India. Dai Jalal's tenure as Dai was very short, only a few months, but before that he was Wali-ul Hind (after Moulai Qasim) for about 20 years under 24th Dai Yusuf while the Dai was in Yemen.
Following the death of the 26th Dai in 1591 CE, there was a dispute as to who was to succeed him. Suleman bin Hasan, the grandson of 24th Dai, was wali in Yemen and claimed the succession, supported by the other Yemeni Bohra. However, the Indian Bohra denied his claim of nass, declaring supporting documentation to be forged. The two factions separated, with the followers of Suleman becoming the Sulaymanis, and the followers of Dawood Bin Qutubshah becoming the Dawoodi Bohra.
After the death of the 28th daee al mutlaq, Sheikh Aadam Safiuddin, in 1621, a small faction of Alavi Bohra recognized his grandson Ali ibn Ibrahim (1046 AH/ 1637 AD) as his successor and seceded in 1204 AH/ 1789 AD from the majority Dawoodi Bohra recognizing the 29th Dai Abduttayyeb Zakiuddin, and have followed a separate line of daees residing mainly in Vadodara.
Ali was born in city of Vadodara, when 27th Dai Dawoodi bin Qutub Shah was alive in Ahmedabad. His father Ibrahim brought him to Ahmedabad in childhood. 28th Dai educated him.
List of Alavi Dais
DU'AAT-E-KERAAM (aq) of Yaman
1. Saiyedna Zo’aib bin Saiyedi Moosa al-Waade’i (Qaddasallaaho Ruhahu) Death :- 10th Moharram 546 AH (Haus Mubaarak) – 28/4/1151 AD Period :- 13 yrs 4 mts 18 days
2. Saiyedna Ibraahim bin Saiyedi Husain al-Haamedi (QR) Death :- 16th Sha’baan 557 AH (Ghail-e-Bani Haamid, Hamdaan) – 30/7/1162 AD Period :- 11 yrs 7 mts 6 days
3. Saiyedna Haatim bin Saiyedna Ibraahim al-Haamedi (QR) Death : - 16th Moharram 596 AH (Hutaib Mubaarak) – 6/11/1199 AD Period :- 38 yrs 5 mts
4. Saiyedna ‘Ali bin Saiyedna Haatim (QR) Death :- 25th Zul Qa’dah 605 AH (Sana’a) – 30/5/1209 AD Period :- 9 yrs 10 mts 10 days
5. Saiyedna ‘Ali bin Saiyedi Mohammad bin al-Waleed (QR) Death :- 27th Sha’baan 612 AH (Heraaz) – 20/12/1215 AD Period :- 6 yrs 9 mts 3 days
6. Saiyedna ‘Ali bin Saiyedi Hanzala al-Waade’i (QR) Death :- 12th Rabi’ ul-Awwal 626 AH (Hamdaan) – 7/2/1229 AD Period :- 13 yrs 6 mts 15 days
7. Saiyedna Ahmad bin Saiyedi Mubaarak (QR) Death : 28th Jumaadi ul-Ukhraa 627 AH (Hamdaan) - 12/5/ 1230 AD Period :- 1 yr 3 mts 16 days
8. Saiyedna Husain bin Saiyedna ‘Ali al-Waleed (QR) Death :- 22nd Safar 667 AH (Hiql, Sana’a) – 30/10/1268 AD Period :- 39 yrs 7 mts 24 days
9. Saiyedna ‘Ali bin Saiyedna Husain al-Waleed (QR) Death : - 13th Zul Qa’dah 682 AH (Sana’a) – 1/2/1284 AD Period :- 15 yrs 8 mts 21 days
10. Saiyedna ‘Ali bin Saiyedi Husain al-Waade’i (QR) Death :- 1st Safar 686 AH (Sana’a) – 17/3/1287 AD Period :- 3 yrs 2 mts 17 days
11. Saiyedna Ibraahim bin Saiyedna Husain al-Waleed (QR) Death :- 10th Shawwaal 728 AH (Hisn-e-Af’edah) – 16/8/1328 AD Period :- 42 yrs 8 mts 9 days
12. Saiyedna Mohammad bin Saiyedi Haatim (QR) Death :- 1st Zul Hijjah 729 AH (Hisn-e-Af’edah) - 25/9/1329 AD Period :- 1 yr 1 mt 7 days
13. Saiyedna ‘Ali Shamsuddin bin Saiyedna Ibraahim (QR) Death : - 18th Rajab 746 AH (Hisn-e-Zamarmar) – 13/11/1345 AD Period :- 16 yrs 7 mts 18 days
14. Saiyedna ‘Abd ul-Muttalib Najmuddin bin Saiyedna Mohammad (QR) Death :- 14th Rajab 755 AH (Hisn-e-Zamarmar) – 3/8/1354 AD Period :- 8 yrs 11 mts 25 days
15. Saiyedna ‘Abbaas bin Saiyedna Mohammad (QR) Death :- 8th Shawwaal 779 AH (Hisn-e-Af’edah) – 6/2/1378 AD Period :- 24 yrs 2 mts 24 days
16. Saiyedna ‘Abdullaah Fakhruddin bin Saiyedi ‘Ali (QR) Death :- 9th Ramazaan 809 AH (Hisn-e-Zamarmar) - 16/2/1407 AD Period :- 29 yrs 11 mts 1 day
17. Saiyedna Hasan Badruddin bin Saiyedna ‘Abdullaah (QR) Death :- 6th Shawwaal 821 AH (Hisn-e-Zamarmar) - 5/11/1418 AD Period :- 12 yrs 27 days
18. Saiyedna ‘Ali Shamsuddin bin Saiyedna ‘Abdullaah (QR) Death :- 3rd Safar 832 AH (Shaareqah) - 11/11/ 1428 AD Period :- 10 yrs 3 mts 27 days
19. Saiyedna Idrees ‘Imaaduddin bin Saiyedna Hasan (QR) Death :- 19th Zul Qa’dah 872 AH (Shebaam) – 9/6/1468 AD Period :- 40 yrs 9 mts 16 days
20. Saiyedna Hasan Badruddin bin Saiyedna Idrees (QR) Death :- 15th Sha’baan 918 AH (Masaar) – 25/10/1512 AD Period :- 45 yrs 8 mts 26 days
21. Saiyedna Husain Husaamuddin bin Saiyedna Idrees (QR) Death :- 10th Shawwaal 933 AH (Masaar) – 9/7/1527 AD Period :- 15 yrs 1 mt 25 days
22. Saiyedna ‘Ali Shamsuddin bin Saiyedna Husain (QR) Death :- 21st Zul Qa’dah 933 AH (Masaar) – 18/8/ 1527 AD Period :- 1 mt 10 days
23. Saiyedna Mohammad ‘Izzuddin bin Saiyedna ‘Ali (QR) Death :- 27th Safar 946 AH (Zabeed) – 13/7/1539 AD Period :- 12 yrs 3 mts 6 days
24. Saiyedna Yoosuf Najmuddin bin Saiyedi Sulaymaan (QR) Death :- 16 Zul Hijjah 974 AH (Taibah) – 23/6/1567 AD Period :- 28 yrs 9 mts 23 days
DU'AAT OF INDIA (GUJARAT)
25. SAIYEDNA FAKHRUDDIN JALAAL BIN HASAN (Q.R.) Death :- 16th Rabi ‘al- Akhar 975 A.H. – 19/10/1567 A.D. Period :- 4 months.
26. SAIYEDNA DAWOODJI BURHAANUDDIN BIN ‘AJABSHAH (Q.R.) Death :- 27th Rabi ' al- Akhar 999 A.H. – 21/2/1591 A.D. Period :- 24 yrs.
27. SAIYEDNA DAWOODJI BURHAANUDDIN BIN ‘QUTUBSHAH (Q.R.) Death :- 15th Jamadi al- Akhar 1021 A.H. – 12/8/1612 A.D. Period :- 22 yrs.
28. SAIYEDNA SHAIKH AADAM SAFIYUDDIN BIN TAIYABSHAH (Q.R.) Death :- 7th Rajab 1030 A.H. – 27/5/1621 A.D. Period :- 9 yrs.
29. SAIYEDNA ALI SHAMSUDDIN AL-SHAHEED BIN IBRAHIM BIN SAIYEDNA SHAIKH ADAM SAFIYUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 23rd Zilqaad 1046 A.H. – 17/4/1637 A.D. Period :- 16 yrs.
He was the 1st Da'i ul Mutlaq of ALAVI DA'WAT in India who gave his life for "Haqq" and "Da'wat" and was martyred.
30. SAIYEDNA TAIYAB ZAKIYUDDIN BIN SHAIKH ADAM SAFIYUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 13th Ramzan 1047 A.H. – 27/1/1638 A.D. Period :- 9 m. 20 days.
31. SAIYEDNA HASAN BADRUDDIN BIN WALI (Q.R.) Death :- 19th Rabi ' al- Akhar 1090 A.H. – 29/5/1679 A.D. Period :- 42 yrs.
32. SAIYEDNA ZIYAUDDIN JIVABHAI BIN SAIYEDI NUHJI (Q.R.) Death : - 10th Zilqaad 1130 A.H. (Al Bustaan al- Badri). – 4/10/1718 A.D. Period :- 40 yrs.
33. SAIYEDNA MO'AYYEDUDDIN HEBATULLAAH BIN SAIYEDNA ZIYAUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 17th Rajab 1151 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri). – 30/10/ 1738 A.D . Period :- 20 yrs.
34. SAIYEDNA SHEHABUDDIN JALAL BIN SAIYEDI NUHJI (Q.R.) Death :- 14th Safar 1158 A.H. (Jannat al- Mu'meneen) - 17/3/1745 A.D. Period :- 6 yrs. 7 m.
35. SAIYEDNA NURUDDIN NOORBHAI BIN SHAIKHALI (Q.R.) Death :- 9th Moharram 1178 A.H. (SURAT) – 7/7/ 1764 A.D. Period :- 19 yrs. 11m.
36. SAIYEDNA HAMIDUDDIN SHAMSUDDIN BIN SAIYEDNA HEBATULLAH (Q.R.) Death :- 26th Shabaan 1189 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri ) – 20/10/1775 A.D. Period :- 11 yrs.
37. SAIYEDNA SHAMSUDDIN SHAIKHALI BIN SAIYEDNA SHAMSUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 25th Rajab 1248 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri ) – 17/12/1832 A.D. Period :- 59 yrs .
38. SAIYEDNA HAMIDUDDIN SHAMSUDDIN BIN SAIYEDNA SHAIKHALI (Q.R.) Death :- 30th Ramzan 1252 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri ). – 7/1/1837 A.D. Period :- 4 yrs.
39. SAIYEDNA MUFIDUDDIN NAJMUDDIN BIN SAIYEDNA SHAIKHALI (Q.R.) Death :- 6th Rajab 1282 A.H. ( Jannat al- Mu'meneen ). – 24/11/1865 A.D. Period :- 29 yrs. 10 m.
40. SAIYEDNA AMEENUDDIN AMIRUDDIN BIN SAIYEDNA NAJMUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 18th Zilhajj 1296 A.H. ( Jannat al- Mu'meneen ). - 2/12/1879 A.D. Period :- 14 yrs.
41. SAIYEDNA FAKHRUDDIN JIVABHAI BIN SAIYEDNA AMIRUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 20th Shawwal 1347 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri ). – 30/3/1929 A.D. Period :- 50 yrs. 10m.
42. SAIYEDNA BADRUDDIN FIDAALI BIN SAIYEDNA FAKHRUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 8th Shabaan 1377 A.H. (Al- Bustaan al- Badri ) – 26/2/1958 A.D. Period :- 29 yrs. 9 m.
43. SAIYEDNA NURUDDIN YUSUF BIN SAIYEDNA BADRUDDIN (Q.R.) Death :- 17th Rajab 1394 A.H. (Mazaar-e-Yusufi, Al- Masjid al- Noorani) 5/8/1974 A.D. Period :- 16 yrs. 11 m.
44. SAIYEDNA ZIYAUDDIN TAIYEB BIN NURUDDIN YUSUF (Q.R.) Death :- 5th Sha'baan ul-Kareem 1436 AH (Mazaar-e-Yusufi, Al- Masjid al- Noorani) 23/5/2015 A.D. Period :- 40 yrs. 5 m.
SAIYEDNA WA MAULAANA ABU SA'EED IL-KHAYR HAATIM ZAKIYUDDIN SAHEB (Tawwalallaaho 'Umrahu ash- Shareef) is the 45th Da'i ul-Mutlaq al-Fatemi al-Husaini (Spiritual & Temporal Head) of al-Jamaa'at ul-'Alaviyah in succession from the 1st Dai ul-Mutlaq SAIYEDNA ZOEB BIN MOOSA (QR), through the tradition of ‘NASS'. This is the Maulaa's First year as Da'i ul-Mutlaq after the Intiqaal of 44th Da'i ul-Mutlaq Saiyedna Taiyeb Ziyauddin saheb (aq) on 5th Sha'baan ul-Kareem 1436 AH.
SAIYEDI WA MAULAAI MOHAMMAD BHAISAHEB NURUDDIN (Zaadallaaho 'Ilmahu) is the ‘Mukaasir ud-Da'wat il-'Alaviyah' and SHAHZAADAH DR. ZULQARNAIN BHAISAHEB HAKEEMUDDIN is Ra's ul-Hudood of ad-Da'wat ul-'Alaviyah.
Vadodara city (Gujarat State) is the centre (markaz) of Ad-Da'wat ul-Haadiyat ul-'Alaviyah since 325 yrs.
Emergence of Alavi Bohras out of Ismailism
- Dawoodi Bohra
- Hebtiahs Bohra
- Patani Bohras
- Sulaymani Bohra
- Sunni Bohra
- 53rd Syedna succession controversy (Dawoodi Bohra)