Algerian Space Agency
|Established||16 January 2002|
14 Rue Omar AISSAOUI EL HAMMADIA, Bouzareah, Algiers|
- Propose to the Government the elements of a national strategy in the field of space activity and ensure their implementation;
- Establish a space infrastructure to strengthen national capacities;
- Implement the annual and multiannual programs to develop national space activities related to the various sectors concerned and to ensure the monitoring and evaluation;
- Propose to the Government best suited to national concerns and provide space systems, on behalf of the state, their design, implementation and operation;
- Provide the Government a policy of bilateral and multilateral cooperation geared to national needs;
- Monitoring and evaluation of the commitments arising from the obligations of the state in regional and international agreements in the fields of space activity
The Algerian Space Agency consists of a central structure and four operational entities:
- Centre of Space Techniques (CTS);
- Space Applications Centre (SAC);
- Satellite Development Center (CDS);
- Operating Systems Telecommunications (HKT) Centre.
Regarding bilateral cooperation, the Algerian Space Agency signed:
- Government cooperation agreements signed with Argentina Argentine space agency (CONAE), France (CNES), and Ukraine (NSAU);
- Memoranda of Understanding and Cooperation with agencies of Russia (Roscosmos), China (CNSA), the United Kingdom (UK Space Agency), Germany (DLR), the India (IRSO), Syria (GORS) and Argentina (CONAE).
- Governmental agreements are being finalized with Russia (Roscosmos), South Africa (SANSA) and China (CNSA)
- Alsat-1: The Algerian satellite ALSAT-1 is the first of a series of 05 microsatellite launched under the DMC (Disaster Monitoring Constellation) for the time period 2002-2005. The objective of the mission is to provide medium resolution multispectral images for monitoring natural disasters as well as other thematic remote sensing applications.
- Alsat-2A: On 12 July 2010, the Algerian Earth observation Alsat-2A satellite was successfully launched from the Sriharikota site near Chennai (South-East of India). Since its orbit, Alsat-2A has provided nearly 30,000 products images.
- Alsat-2B: Similar to Alsat-2A but integrated in Algeria within the small satellite development center (UDPS) in Oran.
- Alsat-3: Frequently mentioned as intended to be launched from Hammaguir but in reality a hoax.
- Invalid language code. Official site of the ASAL