Amiphenazole (Daptazile) is a respiratory stimulant traditionally used as an antidote for barbiturate or opiate overdose, usually in combination with bemegride, as well as poisoning from other sedative drugs and treatment of respiratory failure from other causes. It was considered particularly useful as it could counteract the sedation and respiratory depression produced by morphine but with less effect on analgesia. It is still rarely used in medicine in some countries, although it has largely been replaced by more effective respiratory stimulants such as doxapram and specific opioid antagonists such as naloxone.
- ^ Worlock A. Barbiturate poisoning treated with amiphenazole and bemegride. British Medical Journal. 1956 Nov 10;2(5001):1099-101. PMID 13364395
- ^ Mears GW. Massive doses of bemegride and amiphenazole in treatment of barbiturate poisoning. British Medical Journal. 1958 Mar 29;1(5073):757-8. PMID 13510792
- ^ Dotevall G, Herner B. Treatment of acute primidone poisoning with bemegride and amiphenazole. British Medical Journal. 1957 Aug 24;2(5042):451-2. doi:10.1136/bmj.2.5042.451 PMID 13446511
- ^ Rowell NR. Treatment of glutethimide poisoning with bemegride and amiphenazole. Lancet. 1957 Feb 23;272(6965):407-9. PMID 13407028
- ^ Little GM. Use of amiphenazole in respiratory failure. British Medical Journal. 1962 Jan 27;1(5273):223-6. PMID 14465883
- ^ McKeogh J, Shaw FH. Further experience with amiphenazole and morphine in intractable pain. British Medical Journal. 1956 Jan 21;1(4959):142-4. PMID 13276651
- ^ Gershon S, Bruce DW, Orchard N, Shaw FH. Amiphenazole and morphine in production of analgesia. British Medical Journal. 1958 Aug 9;2(5092):366-8. PMID 13560868
- ^ Gairola RL, Gupta PK, Pandley K. Antagonists of morphine-induced respiratory depression. A study in postoperative patients. Anaesthesia. 1980 Jan;35(1):17-21. PMID 6994518
- ^ O'Neill WM. The cognitive and psychomotor effects of opioid drugs in cancer pain management. Cancer Surveys. 1994;21:67-84. PMID 8565000
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.