Andrew Blake (director)
|Other names||Paul Nevitt|
|Occupation||Film director and cinematographer|
|Years active||1989 - Present|
|Known for||adult erotic films|
Andrew Blake (born in 1947) is an American adult erotic film director and film producer. Blake has been inducted into both the AVN and XRCO Halls of Fame and is a medal recipient from the Worldfest-Houston International Film Festival.
Andrew Blake began his career working on movies for Playboy, but shifted to working independently in the 1990s. Most of Blake's films are released through his own production company, Studio A. Andrew Blake is a member of the AVN Hall of Fame (200?) and XRCO Hall of Fame (2003). Blake's films usually feature original music scores by the composer Raoul Valve.
Blake has described his work as "erotic fashion," and his films usually include fetish, bondage, and lesbian imagery, often excluding heterosexual intercourse entirely. Blake's earliest films were primarily works of softcore erotica, however, and that sensibility still informs his pacing and style. Early films made by Blake soon after he came into his own as an independent director are fully explicit and usually combine heterosexual intercourse with lesbian imagery while including much less fetish and bondage content than his later films.
Blake's first major film, Night Trips, (1989), was awarded the Silver Medal in the Non-Theatrical Release Category at the Worldfest-Houston International Film Festival. Andrew Blake holds the distinction of being the first adult director to win a film award at a mainstream international film festival.
Andrew Blake's films are characterized by high production values, artistic stylization, and rigorous technique. His style has been compared to that of the seminal fashion photographer Helmut Newton, and described as "decadent, lush, opulent, unfailingly arousing, moneyed and sophisticated."
Sex writer Violet Blue says of Blake's work: "It's a whole different genre of explicit erotic filmmaking evident from the first frame -- pure high fashion, glossy candyland fantasy. It is luxuriously designed from nip tip to toe. And it's stylish as hell."
- 1999 AVN Award "Best All-Sex, Film" (High-Heels)
- 2000 AVN Award "Best All-Sex Film" (Playthings)
- 2002 AVN Award "Best Art Direction Film" (Blond & Brunettes)
- 2002 AVN Award "Best Cinematography" (Blond & Brunettes)
- 2002 Venus Award "Best Director USA"
- 2004 AVN Award "Best All Sex Film" (Hard Edge)
- 2004 AVN Award "Best Art Direction Film" (Hard Edge)
- 2004 AVN Award "Best Cinematography" (Hard Edge)
- 2004 AVN Award "Best Editing Film" (Hard Edge)
- 2005 AVN Award "Best Cinematography" (Flirts)
- 2008 AVN Award "Best Editing" (X)
- 2009 AVN Award "Best Cinematography" (Paid Companions)
- 2010 XBIZ Award "Excellence in Progressive Erotica"
- 2011 XBIZ Award "Best Editing" (Voyeur Within)
- 2013 AVN Award "Best Photography Website" (AndrewBlake.com)
- 2014 AVN Award "Best Glamour Website" (AndrewBlake.com)
- Playboy: Sexy Lingerie (1988) (as Paul Nevitt)
- Night Trips (1989)
- Secrets (1990)
- House of Dreams (1990)
- Art of Desire (1991)
- Hidden Obsessions (1992)
- Sensual Exposure (1993)
- Fantasy Women (1994)
- Pin-Ups aka Andrew Blake's Pin-Ups (1994)
- Unleashed aka Andrew Blake's Unleashed (1996)
- High Heels aka Obsessions: High Heels (1998)
- Blond & Brunettes (2001)
- Justine (2002)
- Andrew Blake X aka X (2007)
- Paid Companions (2008)
- Sex Dolls (2010)
- "Hall of Fame". AVN Awards. Archived from the original on 14 August 2007.
- "XRCO Hall of Fame". Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Andrew Blake: Soft Core Auteur. July 2008 Interview Podcast at AdultDVDTalk,com.
- "9to5 – Days in Porn, onscreen credits". per the film itself.
- The Helmut Newton of Porn: Violet Blue interviews Andrew Blake. San Francisco Chronicle, Dec. 18, 2008
- David Sullivan (2009-01-11). "2009 AVN Award-Winners Announced". AVN.com. Archived from the original on 23 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- Lyla Katz (2010-02-11). "XBIZ Awards 2010 Winners Announced". XBiz.com. Archived from the original on 30 March 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-23.
- "2011 XBIZ Awards Announced Last Night". AVN.com. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "AVN - 2014 AVN Awards Show - History". Avnawards.avn.com. 2014-01-18. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- AVN Staff (2014-01-19). "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2014 AVN Awards". AVN. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- Staff. "Andrew Blake, Director". IAFD. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fashion photography.|
|40x40px||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glamour photography.|
- Andrew Blake - Official Website.
- Andrew Blake - Films at andrewblake.com.
- Andrew Blake at the Internet Movie Database.
- Andrew Blake at the Internet Adult Film Database.
- Andrew Blake - Interview (2008; Podcast).
- Andrew Blake - Wiki2 Version.
- Andrew Blake - Video (00:39) on YouTube.
- Andrew Blake - Video (00:59) on YouTube.
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).