The Seal of Andrew College
|Andrew Female College|
|Motto||Lux et Scientia (Latin: "Light & Knowledge")|
|Type||Private Junior college|
|United Methodist Church|
|Endowment||$10,000,000 (est. 2014)|
|President||Kirk Treible (interim)|
|Campus||Small town, 40 acres (0.16 km²)|
Blue and Gold|
Andrew College is a private, liberal arts junior college located a few blocks off the town square in Cuthbert, Randolph County, Georgia, United States. It is associated with The United Methodist Church and is the ninth-oldest college in Georgia.
Andrew is home to four student residence halls, a full-service dining hall, a swimming pool, tennis courts, an updated student center, and an on-campus library. The campus also houses an intramural soccer field, and an off-campus baseball field hosts the baseball team. In addition to the outdoor athletic facilities offered, students also enjoy access to a newly remodeled Jinks Physical Education Complex with racquetball courts and a weight room.
Andrew specializes in the education of freshmen and sophomores, and the College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. The College awards Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Music (AM), and Associate of Science (AS) degrees, and students can choose from more than 50 disciplines within these three degree programs.
Andrew College was granted its charter as Andrew Female College by the Georgia General Assembly on January 15, 1854. At the time, it was the second oldest charter in the United States to give an educational institution the right to confer degrees upon women. It was named for Bishop James Osgood Andrew of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In 1864, Andrew College was overtaken at the behest of the Confederate Army and served as Hood Hospital during the American Civil War. It was one of three hospitals in Cuthbert. Despite its sole building being used as a hospital, classes continued on a limited basis, and female students assisted the wounded with tasks like reading and writing letters.
In 1892, a fire consumed the campus. The people of Cuthbert raised money to begin rebuilding the same year. That fall, the college reopened in what is now known as Old Main, a five-story Victorian that was constructed for $25,000.
In 1917, Andrew became a junior college, and the institution became co-educational in 1956.
During the fall 2013 semester, 316 students were enrolled at Andrew College. More than 95% of students live on campus. The student profile is evenly divided between male and female, with 49% male students and 51% female students. There are students from about ten states and ten countries.
An overwhelming majority of the College’s student body originates from Georgia, Florida and Alabama, followed by scholars from other U.S. states and international students. Half of the students from Georgia matriculate from one of the 28 counties that constitute the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area, and the remaining in-state students come to Andrew from larger South Georgia cities such as Columbus, Macon, and Albany.
The minimum SAT scores are 460 math and 460 verbal, or the ACT equivalent, and a high school GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.Almost all students attend four-year colleges after graduating from Andrew College.
- Baseball - men's team
- Basketball - women's team
- Volleyball - women's team
- Fast pitch softball - women's team
- Golf - men's and women's teams
- Soccer - men's and women's teams
Tuition & fees plus room & board for the 2014-2015 academic year total $22,971 per student. However, with an institutional financial aid budget exceeding $2.1 million, access to the Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant and private support, Andrew's costs may be greatly reduced.
As of 2014, the college has an endowment of about $10,000,000.