Androidland is the first Android retail store, opened by the carrier Telstra on Bourke Street, Melbourne, Australia, in December 2011. If it proves successful, it may expand within the country and internationally.
The store is themed heavily in green, featuring several Android “green robot“ sculptures. In the store, Telstra provides visitors with an interactive spaceship zone that features a flight simulator (via the Google Earth software, a ”Liquid Galaxy” set-up), also including a massive screen on which visitors can play Angry Birds. It features scented areas with gingerbread and grass aromas, called “Android grass“, to further immerse visitors.
|“Over the past 12 months we’ve seen a huge growth in the number of customers coming in-store and asking us about Android phones and tablets. With Androidland we wanted to create a retail environment like no other that helps us to answer customer questions in a fun, interactive way.“ As of 23 October 2012 Androidland is being removed from the Icon Store.|
|— Warwick Bray, Executive Director, Telstra Mobile|
Androidland had been in development since July 2011. Google Australia helped to train the store’s Android experts to be able to assist visitors with devices, help them with their new devices, and recommend applications.
Logan Booker, writing for Gizmodo Australia wrote “It’s a friendly environment, definitely, and if I were to make the switch to Android, I’d be sure to stop by to aid in my decision-making. The interesting fusion of business with an “experience” beyond product demonstrations gives the shop-within-a-shop a corporate Powerhouse Museum feel.“
- "Meet Androidland: Australia opens ”world-first” Android store in Melbourne". Apcmag.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- A Walk Through Telstra’s Android Wonderland | Gizmodo Australia
- Telstra launches world-first Android store in Melbourne - Media Announcement – About Telstra
- Androidland: Telstra and Google open dedicated store in Melbourne | The Verge
- Telstra Opens Androidland, The World's First Android Store
- Official Telstra Press Release
- Announcement at the Official Google Australia Blog
- Image gallery with photos of the store
- Coverage: