Animal Planet (Canada)
Animal Planet logo
|Launched||September 7, 2001|
Bell Media (80%)|
Discovery Communications (20%)
(Animal Planet Canada Company)
Discovery Channel |
Channel 525 (SD) |
Channel 1612 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 553 (SD)|
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
Channel 257 (SD)|
Channel 509 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||
Channel 525 (SD)|
Channel 1525 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 251 (SD)|
Channel 208 (SD)|
Channel 708 (HD)
Channel 93 (SD)|
Channel 393 (HD)
In November 2000, CTV Inc. was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch Animal Planet, a service described as being "broadly based on family entertainment that will combine high-quality Canadian programming and attractive series and documentaries from Animal Planet in the United States."
The channel was launched under its current ownership structure (with the exception of Bell Media, wherein Bell Globemedia, later renamed CTVglobemedia, owned its shares at the time) on September 7, 2001.
On June 30, 2008, Animal Planet unveiled a new on-air appearance, including a new logo and graphics, to align itself with the American service which had updated its appearance earlier that year.
On September 10, 2010, BCE (a minority shareholder in CTVglobemedia) announced that it planned to acquire 100% interest in CTVglobemedia for a total debt and equity transaction cost of $3.2 billion CAD. The deal which required CRTC approval, was approved on March 7, 2011 and closed on April 1 of that year, on which CTVglobemedia was rebranded Bell Media.
Animal Planet HD
On June 17, 2011, Bell Media announced that it would launch Animal Planet HD, a high definition (HD) simulcast of the standard definition feed, by the end of 2011. The channel launched on December 15, 2011 initially on Bell Fibe TV and Shaw Cable and launched at a later date on Telus TV.
- Decision CRTC 2000-552 CRTC 2000-12-14
- Animal Planet Launch Bell Globemedia press release 2001-09-06
- Animal Planet Debuts A New Look and Striking New Programming During National Freeview this July CTVglobemedia press release 2008-06-05
- Bell Canada (2010-09-10). "Bell to acquire 100% of Canada's No.1 media company CTV". CNW Group. Archived from the original on 13 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- CRTC approves BCE's purchase of CTVglobemedia
- Bell completes acquisition of CTV, launches Bell Media business unit CNW 2011-04-01
- Discovery Channel and Bell Media Factual Networks Announce Fall 2011 "Must See" Highlights CNW 2011-06-17
- Animal Planet HD, Investigation Discovery HD and Discovery Science HD Launch Today Bell Media press release 2011-12-15