|This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|File:Shulgin ann 2011 hanna jon.jpg|
22 March 1931|
Wellington, New Zealand
|Spouse(s)||Alexander Shulgin (d. 2014)|
|Parent(s)||Bernard Gotlieb, Gwen Ormiston|
Ann Shulgin grew up in the village Opicina outside the Italian city Trieste where her father was American Consul for six years before World War II. She has worked as a lay therapist with psychedelic substances such as MDMA and 2C-B in therapeutic settings while these drugs were still legal. In her writings, she stresses the potential of these drugs from a Jungian psychoanalytic perspective, as well as their use in combination with hypnotherapy. She often appears as a speaker at conventions, and has continued to advocate the use of psychedelics in therapeutical contexts.
Together with her husband she has authored the books PiHKAL and TiHKAL, and contributed to the books Thanatos to Eros: 35 Years of Psychedelic Exploration, Entheogens and the Future of Religion, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide, The Secret Chief Revealed, Higher Wisdom: Eminent Elders Explore the Continuing Impact of Psychedelics, and Manifesting Minds: A Review of Psychedelics in Science, Medicine, Sex, and Spirituality.
- "Tribute to Jacob". In The Secret Chief: Conversations With a Pioneer of the Underground Psychedelic Therapy Movement by Myron J. Stolaroff, Charlotte, NC: Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, 1997. [ISBN 0-9660019-1-5]
- with Alexander Shulgin. "A New Vocabulary". In Robert Forte (ed.), Entheogens and the Future of Religion, Berkeley: Council on Spiritual Practices, 1997. [ISBN 1-889725-01-3]
- with Alexander Shulgin. TiHKAL: The Continuation. Berkeley: Transform Press, 1997. [ISBN 0-9630096-9-9]
- with Alexander Shulgin. PiHKAL: A Chemical Love Story. Berkeley: Transform Press, 1991. [ISBN 0-9630096-0-5]
- "Drugs added to banned lists". BBC Online. 12 August 1998. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Shulgin, Ann. "Erowid Character Vaults: Ann Shulgin Extended Biography". Erowid.org. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Erowid Character Vaults: Ann Shulgin
- A New Class of Criminals: A therapist laments the loss to science of MDMA
- Video: Psychedelic Psychotherapy with MDMA – Ann Shulgin: A Chemical Performance
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found. Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.