|It has been suggested that Sexophobia be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2015.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
Some forms of early ascetic Gnosticism held all matter to be evil, and that unnecessary gratifications of the physical senses were to be avoided. Married couples were encouraged to be celibate. According to some sources, the early Christian theologian Origen castrated himself to avoid temptation and remain pure. The Skoptsys were a radical sect of the Russian Orthodox Church that practiced castration and amputation of sexual organs. The Skoptsy believed that Christ had been castrated during his crucifixion, and it was this castration that brought about salvation. Boston Corbett, who was involved in killing John Wilkes Booth, castrated himself after being mocked and tempted by prostitutes. Ann Lee was the founder of the Shakers, a radical Protestant sect that opposed procreation and all sexual activity. The Shakers were more opposed to pregnancy than anything else. John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of the "corn flakes" variety of breakfast cereal, was opposed to all forms of sexual activity, especially masturbation. The Road to Wellville satirized his life and practices. Father Divine, founder of the International Peace Mission Movement, advocated religious abstinence from sex and marriage and taught that sexual objectification is a root cause of undesirable social and political conditions.[non-primary source needed]
|This section possibly contains original research. (August 2013)|
The most popular venue of antisexuals is the Antisex.info (Antisexual Stronghold) website founded by Yuri Nesterenko. He has been widely recognized as the leading antisexual activist since he launched a FidoNet-based antisexual community in 1995. The community claims to have created the International Antisexual Movement (IAM). While putting forward the slogan "Say No to sex," the spokesmen of the IAM endeavor to people to understand no sexual urges to be so violent that they may not be deterred through mental reason, or else transformed through abstinence. The IAM aims to demonstrate what it finds to be unsound about this opinion, that some should say they be constrained to sexual drive; and on the other side many for lack of knowledge of themselves follow sexual needs as the sayings or decrees of reason. In contrast to this old-fashioned sexist stereotype, many members of the IAM say they have successfully overcome the desire for sex.
- Opposition to pornography
- Sexual repression
- The Kreutzer Sonata
- Sexual abstinence
- Cathar Perfect
- John Ince (2005), The politics of lust, Prometheus Books, p. 11, ISBN 978-1-59102-278-7,
consists of any negative response directed at sex organs or harmless sex expression
- Sunshine, Glenn S. (2009). Why You Think the Way You Do: The Story of Western Worldviews from Rome to Home. Zondervan. p. 47. ISBN 9780310292302. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- See Book of Thomas the Contender, Acts of Thomas; also Spiritual marriage
- Rothwell, Nicholas (2008-08-23). "The Way of All Flesh". The Australian. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Friedman, David M. (2008). A Mind of Its Own: A Cultural History of the Penis. Simon and Schuster. pp. 36–37. ISBN 9781439136089. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Tanner, Beccy (2013-02-11). "Boston Corbett moved to Kansas after John Wilkes Booth shooting". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Gopnik, Adam (2006-02-13). "Shining Tree of Life". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Taormino, Tristan (2004-05-11). "Come for a Cause". The Village Voice. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Hicks, Chris (1994-11-01). "Film review: Road to Wellville, The". Deseret News. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
-  
- Чудакова, Алиса (July 7, 2008). Против секса (in Russian). Interfax. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Арефьева, Татьяна (November 8, 2007). Жизнь без секса [Life without sex] (in Russian). Атмосфера № 67. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- An anonymous author (2003-01-27). Жизнь без секса [Life without sex] (in Russian). Газета «Сегодня», Выпуск №19 (1364). Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- Мы не спустим!. Moulin rouge (in Russian) (Moscow: Rodionov Publishing House). May–June 2006. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- Invalid language code. Теория невероятности. Жизнь без секса (a documentary)
- Reitschuster, Boris (2000-11-06). "RUSSLAND: No sex, please!". Focus (in German) (Hubert Burda Media) (45). Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Giới tính thứ tư - Những thiên thần hay chỉ là những bệnh nhân?" (in Vietnamese). YuMe. Retrieved 2013-02-22.
- O'Neill, Brendan (2009-05-17). "Inalienable Right to 'Excessively Noisy Sex'". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2013-08-31.