Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for Arab al-Bawati

Arab al-Bawati

Arab al-Bawati
Arabic عرب البواطي/خربة الحكمة
Subdistrict Baysan
Coordinates

32°31′40.94″N 35°32′21.27″E / 32.5280389°N 35.5392417°E / 32.5280389; 35.5392417Coordinates: 32°31′40.94″N 35°32′21.27″E / 32.5280389°N 35.5392417°E / 32.5280389; 35.5392417{{#coordinates:32|31|40.94|N|35|32|21.27|E|type:city_region:IL |primary |name=

}}
Palestine grid 200/214
Population 520 (1945)
Area 10,641 dunams
Date of depopulation 16 or 20 May 1948[1]
Cause(s) of depopulation Influence of nearby town's fall

Arab al-Bawati (Arabic: عرب البواطي/خربة الحكمة‎) was a Palestinian Arab village in the District of Baysan. It was depopulated during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.

It was located 4 kilometres north east of Baysan in the Baysan valley. The village was destroyed on May 16, 1948. According to a Palestinian historian, Walid Khalidi, "All of the village houses have been demolished. The remains of basalt stone walls and the square and circular foundations of buildings can be seen among the weeds." Today the ruins of walls, pillars, the foundations of buildings, and Roman milestones are visible in the area.[2]

References

  1. Morris, 2004, p.xvii, village #135. Also gives cause of depopulation, with a "?"
  2. Khalidi, 1992, p. 42.

Bibliography

</dl>

External links


Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.