Austin Adams (baseball)
Cleveland Indians – No. 49
Born: August 19, 1986|
|July 12, 2014 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through May 16, 2015)
|Earned run average||5.68|
Adams attended Stanhope Elmore High School in Millbrook, Alabama and played college baseball for Faulkner State Community College and Faulkner University. With Faulkner, he played shortstop and pitched; as a shortstop he had a .372 batting average with 29 home runs. He was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the 2009 MLB Draft. He began his minor league career with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. In 17 games, he had a win-loss record of 3–1 and an earned run average (ERA) of 4.86. The following season, he pitched for the Lake County Captains of the Class A Midwest League and the Kinston Indians of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League. Adams pitched in 13 games each for the two squads, and with Kinston he had a 6–1 record and a 1.53 ERA. Between both teams, he had 112 strikeouts in 112 innings pitched.
In 2011, Adams spent the season with the Akron Aeros of the Class AA Eastern League, where he had an 11–10 record, a 3.77 ERA, and 131 strikeouts in 26 appearances. He was invited to spring training with the Indians the following year, but suffered a shoulder injury. He had surgery on it in may of that year, and missed the 2012 season. In 2013, the Indians converted him into a relief pitcher and assigned him to the Aeros for the season. He had a 2.62 ERA and 76 strikeouts in 45 games; the Indians added him to their 40-man roster after the season.
Adams began the 2014 season with the Columbus Clippers of the Class AAA International League, and spent the first three months of the season with them. He was promoted to the Indians on July 11 after pitching in 30 games for the Clippers, and he made his major league debut the following day.
- Inabinett, Mark (July 11, 2014). "Austin Adams gets first call to big leagues, joining Cleveland Indians". AL.com. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "BASEBALL DRAFT: Cleveland rocks for Faulkner's Adams". Montgomery Advertiser. June 11, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2013. (subscription required)
- "Austin Adams Minor League Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference, LLC. Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- Meisel, Zack (March 13, 2014). "Austin Adams' rifle of a right arm wowed the Indians before they sent him down". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland.com). Retrieved September 3, 2014.
- "Indians add five players to 40-man roster". Cleveland.indians.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)