Baby Let's Play House
"Baby Let's Play House" is a song written by Arthur Gunter and recorded by him in 1954 on the Excello Records label, and covered by Elvis Presley the following year on Sun Records. It was the fourth issue of a Presley record by Sun, and became the first song recorded by Elvis to appear on a national chart, when it made #5 on the Billboard Country Singles chart in July 1955.
Presley's version differs greatly from the original: Elvis started the song with the chorus, where Gunter began with the first verse, and he replaced Gunter's line "You may get religion" with the words "You may have a Pink Cadillac", referring to his custom-painted 1955 Cadillac auto that had been serving as the band's transportation at the time.
Buddy Holly recorded a cover of this song in 1955 at the Jim Beck Studio in Dallas. Holly's cover, cut as a demo for Columbia Records, and included on the 1985 Charly Records compilation Buddy Holly Rocks, sounds very much like the Elvis version.
The song was also recorded by Australian Lonnie Lee on Leedon Records in early 1960. The version was not unlike Elvis' in many respects. It was very popular at Lee's shows and a version of him singing it in 1960 on Australia's first Rock'n'Roll TV Show, 'Six O'Clock Rock' is still extant.
Ace Cannon released an instrumental version on his 1967 album Memphis Golden Hits.
- "Elvis Presley Songs". How Stuff Works. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- "Facts about Elvis - Elvis Presley's life - Elvis news: New Elvis Presley Remix "Baby Let's Play House" Available for Download on iTunes TODAY! 6/3/2008" Retrieved July 21, 2008
- Presley releases
- The Blue Moon Boys - The Story of Elvis Presley's Band. Ken Burke and Dan Griffin. 2006. Chicago Review Press. page 47. ISBN 1-55652-614-8
- The Newbeats, Big Beat Sounds by The Newbeats Retrieved April 28, 2015
- "The Official Charts Company - Baby Let's Play House". The Official Charts Company. 4 April 2014.
- "Drake Bell". Muzooka. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.