The Ball State Cardinals football team are a college football program representing the Ball State University in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) college football. Pete Lembo is Ball State's current head coach, the 17th in the program's history. Ball State plays its home games on Scheumann Stadium on the campus of Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. The Cardinals compete in the Mid-American Conference as a member of the West Division.
With a 421–381–32 record, Ball State does not rank among the top 50 most victories among NCAA FBS programs. Ball State was originally classified as a junior college, participating in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) from 1937 until 1956. In 1957, they were classified as a Small College school until 1972. Ball State received Division II classification in 1973, before becoming a Division I-AA program in 1975 and an Division I-A (now FBS) program until 1981, before dropping to Division I-AA for a single season (1982), before returning to Division I-A.
- Indiana State - See: Blue Key Victory Bell
- Northern Illinois – The Cardinals have played the Northern Illinois Huskies 5 times in football since the launch of the Bronze Stalk Trophy. The trophy depicts several cornstalks in tribute to the prevalence of maize around the respective home states of the rivals. In 2008, the trophy was established with Northern Illinois holding a 4-1 edge in the contests.
Current coaching staff
| Pete Lembo
|| Head Coach
| Joey Lynch
|| Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach
| Jay Bateman
|| Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach
| Justin Lustig
|| Special Teams Coordinator/Running Backs Coach
| Patrick Dougherty
|| Tight Ends Coach
| Keith Gaither
|| Wide Receivers Coach
| John Strollo
|| Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach
| Nick Siatras
|| Defensive Line Coach/Recruiting Coordinator
| Daryl Dixon
|| SAM & Nickel LB's Coach
| Shannon Morrison
|| Defensive Backs Coach
The Ball State Cardinals have had 16 head coaches throughout the program's history. With 68 victories, John Magnabosco is first overall in the program's history, followed by Paul Schudel (60 wins) and Dave McClain (46).
Former Ball State head coach Brady Hoke is now that head football coach at the University of Michigan. He was soon fired after a 5-7 season with the Wolverines.
Ball State has appeared in seven NCAA Division I postseason bowl games, where they have compiled a 0–7 record, losing all seven.
Ball State has produced a total of 27 NFL draft selections.
The following "Active" and "All-Star" lists account for past and present Ball State University football players that have participated in the National Football League, the Canadian Football League, and the Arena Football League.
As of April 2014, there are a total of 4 Cardinals listed on team rosters in the NFL, CFL, and AFL.
Among the numerous Cardinals that have participated in the NFL, CFL, and AFL, a total of 3 have received all-star recognition by their respective leagues.
NFL draft selections
Ball State has had 28 players selected in the NFL Draft.
Future non-conference opponents
- ^ "2012 Football Bowl Subdivision Records - All-Time Team Won-Loss Records" (PDF). National Collegiate Athletic Association. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ DeLassus, David. "Ball State Historical Data". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ Doug Zaleski (November 23, 2007). "BSU-Northern Illinois winner will collect Bronze Stalk trophy". www.thestarpress.com. Gannett. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- ^ "Ball State Football Year-by-year results" (PDF). www.ballstatesports.com. Ball State University Athletic Department. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- ^ "Ball St. Drafted Players/Alumni". www.pro-football-reference.com. USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ "NFL Players by College - B". www.espn.com. ESPN. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- ^ "Active Players". www.cfl.ca. Canadian Football League. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- ^ "AFL Players". www.arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- ^ a b "Blaine Bishop NFL Football Statistics". www.Pro-Football-Reference.com. USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ a b "Timmy Brown NFL Football Statistics". www.Pro-Football-Reference.com. USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ "Kenny Stucker". www.arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- ^ DraftHistory.com
- ^ "Ball State Drafted Players/Alumni". www.Pro-Football-Reference.com. USA Today Sports Digital Properties. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- ^ "Ball State Cardinals Football Schedules and Future Schedules". fbschedules.com. Retrieved 2015-03-23.
- ^ "Ball State football to play Indiana State next year". Indystar.com. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- ^ Kelley, Kevin. "Texas A&M adds Ball State and Western Carolina to 2015 Football Schedule". fbschedules.com. fbschedules.com. Retrieved 11 May 2014.