Adverts

Open Access Articles- Top Results for Balm, Florida

Balm, Florida

Coordinates: 27°45′33″N 82°15′41″W / 27.75917°N 82.26139°W / 27.75917; -82.26139{{#coordinates:27.75917|-82.26139||||||| |primary |name= }}

Balm is an unincorporated census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida, United States. The population was 1,457 at the 2010 census.[1]

Description

On June 7, 1902 the town's name was changed to Balm. For the 24 days previous to that the town had been know as Doris, established on May 14, 1902. Originated by the Hicks family, Balm was a farming community consisting of the Hicks, Sweat and Fox families. The first Post Office was the train station where the mail was hung outside and the train crew grabbed it while they passed by the town. Balm is located on the 55 mile railroad route that was built south from Durant to Manatee County and into Sarasota with construction starting in 1895. It was first incorporated in 1902 as the United States & West Indies Railroad and Steamship Company. It became the Florida West Shore Railway on May 9, 1903, before being engulfed into the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company in 1908. The tracks are gone, they were removed around 1984 and the town is now barely more than a store, a Post Office (which has been part of the community for over 100 years) and a packing house standing next to the removed railroad line's grade.

Economy

Balm is the location of an agricultural products packing house, four tropical fish farms and a small holding area for Barnum and Bailey's circus animals.

References

External links



Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.