|colspan="14" #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other|
This page is a soft redirect. Climate data for Belle-Ile
Script error: No such module "WeatherBox". Script error: No such module "WeatherBox". Script error: No such module "WeatherBox". Script error: No such module "WeatherBox". Script error: No such module "WeatherBox".
|colspan="14" style="text-align:center;font-size:85%" #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other|
This page is a soft redirect.Source: Meteorological data for Belle-Ile - 37m altitude, from 1981 to 2010 January 2015 Invalid language code.
Neighbouring communes and villages
|Atlantic Ocean||Atlantic Ocean||Atlantic Ocean|
It is not known if the name comes from Bangor Abbey in Northern Ireland, one of the most famous abbeys in Western Christianity, from where it is known that monks like Columbanus came to evangelize in Armorica in the 6th century, or from the Monastery of Bangor-Fawr, founded in Wales around 545 on the Menai Strait.
The Breton name of the commune is Bangor.
The commune of Bangor has been inhabited since prehistory as evidenced by the Pierre Sainte Anne menhir.
Bangor has been the administrative centre of the island for 10 centuries. It was the name of a priory founded by Benedictine monks who came to colonize and populate the island starting in the 7th century.
Colonization consisted of dividing the island into five parishes with Bangor occupying the middle Each parish was a small area given to residual families from the island or to colonists who were asked by the monks to come to Brittany.
In the 9th century the island was devastated by the Vikings and the priory was placed under the secular protection of the Counts of Cornouaille (in Armorican Brittany). In 1029 the Count of Cornouaille Alain Canhiart entrusted the island to the recently founded Sainte-Croix de Quimperlé Abbey. As it was directly under the authority of the Pope, Belle-Ile benefited from immunity from being under the authority of both the bishopric of Vannes and the duchy of Brittany. The administration of the island was delegated to a provost of the abbey who had temporal power (the right of low, middle, and high justice which was performed sometimes at Belle-Ile and sometimes at Quimperlé). From 1408 the right was exercised only at Quimperlé.
The Count of Cornouaille entrusted the island to the Benedictines of Redon Abbey who were able to take possession of it after long protests from the abbot of Quimperlé. The priory remained in the same spot as its predecessors (on the current location of the municipal campground of Bangor) and a fort was constructed at Le Palais which later became the capital of the island instead of Bangor.
Belle-Île was governed by monks until the 16th century when incessant attacks by pirates forced them to relinquish their fiefdom to the king, or rather to the regent Catherine de' Medici, who gave the land in vassalage to the Gondi family - then owners of the Pays de Retz. The land, however, remained under the heavy hand of the regime until the French Revolution.
The Goulphar lighthouse on the west coast of Bangor has been active since 1836.
The semaphore of Talut was put into service in 1862.
- Mayors from 1935
|1935||1946||François Le Marec|
|1946||1960||Jean Marie Le Bihan|
|1983||1989||Jean Yves Daniel|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 932 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger communes that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
The commune has many buildings and structures that are registered as historical monuments:
- A Tumulus NE of the Aerodrome (Prehistoric)18px
- An old Radar Station at Port-Croton (20th century)18px
- The Goulphar lighthouse (1826)18px has one of the most powerful lights on the French coast. Built from 1826 to 1833, it was commissioned in 1835 and is a granite building 47 m high which rises to 84 m above the sea level. Its light beam flashes at intervals of 3 and 7 seconds. With the present optical system it is visible at 28 Nautical miles.
- The Pierre Sainte Anne Menhir at Kervarijon (Prehistoric)18px
- A Tumulus at Kervarijon (Prehistoric)18px
- Houses (19th century)18px
- The Town Hall (19th century)18px
- A Bakery at Borsauz (18th century)18px
- The Loge Agricultural Store room at Bordenec'h (19th century)18px
- A Well at Radenac (19th century)18px
- A Mill at Varrec (1858)18px
The commune has several religious buildings and structures that are registered as historical monuments:
- Monumental Crosses (19th-20th century)18px
- The Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul (16th century)18px
- A Presbytery (1790)18px
- The Chapels of Saint-Guénolé, Saint-Thomas, and Saint-Armand (destroyed)18px
Bangor Picture Gallery
- Bangor aiguilles de port coton 2014a.jpg
Aiguilles de Port-Coton.
- Bangor semaphore du talut 2014a.jpg
Semaphore of Talut.
- Bangor phare de Kervilahouen 2014a.jpg
The Goulphar lighthouse.
- Plage d'Herlin 02.JPG
- Port Kérel 01.jpg
- Longères, Petit Cosquet, Belle-Île-en-Mer.jpg
A line of Houses.
- Belle-Ile Aero-club Charles Robin.jpg
- John Peter Russell, Australian painter, arrived at Belle-Île-en-Mer in 1883. He first stayed in a rented house in Envag before building a mansion called the "Château de l'anglais" (English Chateau) at Goulphar.
- Claude Monet lived in the village of Kervilahouen
- Françoise Bangor, the first woman painter in Belle-Île, stayed in Envague. She often came on holidays with her parents and succumbed to the beauty of the island. She continued to paint the rugged coastline, the villages, and to sketch the fishermen from 1935 to 1953.
- Henry Moret, painted Goulpher
- Paintings of Bangor
- Claude Monet Pyramides Port Coton.jpg
Claude Monet: Les Aiguilles de Port-Coton (Eagles of Port Coton), 1886
- Claude Monet - Grotte de Port-Domois.jpg
Claude Monet: Grotte de Port-Domois (Port Domois Cave), 1886
- Paysage à Port-Goulphar.jpg
Claude Monet: Paysage à Port-Goulphar (Countryside at Port Goulphar), 1886
- Bangor official website Invalid language code.
- Bangor on the Gencom website (many links) Invalid language code.
- Bangor on the old National Geographic Institute website Invalid language code.
- Old postcards of Bangor Invalid language code.
- Page about Bangor, Belle-Ile, with a map of the small town Invalid language code.
- Bangor on Lion1906
- Bangor on Google Maps
- Bangor on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website Invalid language code.
- Bangor on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Bangor on the INSEE website Invalid language code.
- INSEE Invalid language code.
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force in 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Insee - 2010 Legal population
- Inhabitants of Morbihan Invalid language code.
- Google Maps
- Paris, Nice, Strasbourg, Brest
- Data from the Station at Belle-Ile from 1981 to 2010 Invalid language code.
- Office of Tourism of Belle-Île-en-Mer
- List of Mayors of France Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008946 Tumulus NE of the Aerodrome Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA56000026 Radar Station at Port-Croton Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00135278 IA56000341 Goulphar lighthouse Invalid language code.20px
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008975 Infantry Parapet at Port Guen IA00008974 Infantry Parapet at Port d'Herlin IA00008973 Pointe du Grand Village IA00008972 Entrechments at Port Kerel IA00008971 Port de Domois IA00008970 Pointe de Grand Guet Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008954 Pierre Sainte Anne Menhir at Kervarijon Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008945 Tumulus at Kervarijon Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008253 Radenac (1842) IA00008252 Domois (1859) IA00008242 Houses Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008251 Town Hall Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008247 Bakery at Borsauz Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008246 Loge Agricultural Store room at Bordenec'h Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008245 Well at Radenac Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008244 Mill at Varrec Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00009007 Monumental Crosses Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008249 Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008248 Presbytery Invalid language code.
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA00008241 Chapels of Saint-Guénolé, Saint-Thomas, and Saint-Armand Invalid language code.
- Aero-club Belle-Ile Charles Robin Invalid language code.
- Françoise Oury, Bangor, 1905~1983 Invalid language code.