Belarus Space Agency
Belarus Space Agency (BSA), is a governmental body that coordinates all Belarus space research programs with scientific and commercial goals. It was established in 2009. It is closely associated with the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, which was responsible for Belarusian space travel until the foundation of the Belarus Space Agency.
History of Belarusian Space Travel
Belarus together with Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan are making joint efforts to adapt their existing geoinformation systems to particular applications. However, no formal agreements on cooperation in the development of common Geographic information system are in place.
Belarus commenced the construction of a mission control station (MCC) as part of its longterm space programme aimed at expanding cooperation with Roscosmos. This MCC will enable the country to make fuller use of a prospective group of Russian-Belarusian ERS satellites. Belarus, in partnership with Roscosmos, is developing a new high-resolution ERS satellite, the so-called “flying telescope”, which will be placed into orbit in 2015.
Having ample infrastructure and qualified personnel at its disposal, Russia remains the main provider of ERS services to other CIS countries like Belarus. A Belarusian ERS satellite is being designed in partnership with Russian companies. It will be launched by Cosmotrans from Baikonur using Dnepr-1 boosters.
Negotiations were held between the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus and Roscosmos over Belarus joining GLONASS.
In Belarus, space activities were the domain of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. The main space activities of the academy were:
- development of ERS spacecraft and advanced space technology and equipment;
- development of ground infrastructure for receiving, processing and distributing satellite data and spacecraft control;
- development and introduction of space information technology;
- development of a satellite communications system;
- development of a single geodetic, navigation and time system based on the national ERS system;
- space industry personnel training.
"The new structure will deal with all matters pertaining to the study and use of outer space, including a new Belarusian satellite, due to be launched next year," said Mikhail Myasnikovich, president of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus.
Additionally Belarus plans to set up own Flight Control Center in the building of the United Institute of Informatics Problems in Minsk. Flight Control Center (CUP) will receive the information from the command-measuring post now constructed in Logoisk district.
In August 2012 Belarus invited China to expand the collaboration in space industry. President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko offered closer cooperation in the space industry to China, as he met with President of the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) Ma Xingrui on 6. August 2012. The President of the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation Ma Xingrui also pointed to the high level of cooperation in the space industry between Belarus and China and praised the quality of Belarusian space equipment.
In October 2012 Russia and Belarus declared to start a space satellite group. Additionally both states want to open a center for space services in Minsk. The Director of the Space Strategy and Program Department of Roscosmos Yuri Makarov noted that Belarus and Russia might develop a joint small spacecraft for scientific and educational purposes to be used at universities of the two countries.
In August 2014 Piotr Vityaz, who is the Chief of Staff of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus and leads the Belarus Space Agency, announced that Belarus is seeking a closer cooperation in space projects with Russia's Roscosmos Space Agency.
- Belarus starts setting up national space agency, belta.by, 16.12.2009.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 9.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 16.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 17.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 22.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 27.
- Space Industry in CIS Countries: Prospects of Cooperation, Almaty 2010, p. 39.
- Belarus to create national space agency, rian.ru, 21.09.2009.
- Belarus to set up national Space Agency, metolit.by, (Date unknown).
- Belarus invites China to expand collaboration in space industry, belta.by, 06.08.2012.
- Belarus Making New Plans about Space Exploration, telegraf.by, 12.04.2012.
- Belarus launches remote Earth sensing system, belta.by, 30.08.2012.
- Belarusian satellite takes pictures of Bahrain, Mozambique, belta.by, 30.08.2012.
- Belarus, Russia to make space satellite group, belta.by, 09.10.2012.
- Russia-Belarus center for space services might open in Minsk, belta.by, 20.11.2012.
- Belarus-Russia tighter cooperation in space projects encouraged, belta.by, 27.08.2014.