|Classification and external resources|
|Patient UK||Biliary dyskinesia|
Biliary dyskinesia refers to altered tonus of the sphincter of Oddi (usually increased pressure), disturbance in the coordination of contraction of the biliary ducts, and/or reduction in the speed of emptying of the biliary tree.
The gallbladder stores the bile which is released by the liver. The bile reaches the small intestine where it digests the fat from aliments. In order to reach the small intestine, the bile must pass through the common bile duct and when the bile can not be secreted by the gallbladder or can not flow through the common bile duct, then it will return to the gallbladder, leading to biliary dyskinesia.
Biliary dyskinesia is often a disease symptom rather than a disease itself. It might signal the existence of gallbladder stones, acute or chronic pancreatitis, chronic inflammation, or other digestive disorders. However, symptoms can be induced by the consumption of certain types of food.
Failure of the biliary sphincter can be distinguished from failure of the pancreatic sphincter.
- Toouli J (August 2002). "Biliary Dyskinesia" (– SCHOLAR SEARCH). Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 5 (4): 285–291. PMID 12095476. doi:10.1007/s11938-002-0051-9.[dead link]
- Haricharan RN; Proklova LV; Aprahamian CJ et al. (June 2008). "Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for biliary dyskinesia in children provides durable symptom relief". J. Pediatr. Surg. 43 (6): 1060–1064. PMID 18558183. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2008.02.032.
- Geiger TM (May 2008). "Prognostic indicators of quality of life after cholecystectomy for biliary dyskinesia". Am Surg 74 (5): 1364–1367. PMID 18481495.
- Cahan MA (Sep 2006). "Proton pump inhibitors reduce gallbladder function". Surg. Endosc. 20 (9): 1364–1367. PMID 16858534. doi:10.1007/s00464-005-0247-x.
- Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction
- Biliary dyskinesia -definition and treatment of disease, natural therapies
- "Biliary Dyskinesia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Herbal Remedies | Doctor Tipster". doctortipster.com. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.