Bill Hayes (baseball)
San Francisco Giants – No. 58
|First base coach|
Born: October 24, 1957|
|September 30, 1980 for the Chicago Cubs|
Last MLB appearance
|September 3, 1981 for the Chicago Cubs|
|Runs batted in||0|
Career highlights and awards
Early life and playing career
Born in Cheverly, Maryland, Hayes grew up in North Platte, Nebraska and graduated from St. Patrick High School. Hayes caught the eye of coach Bob Warn at Iowa Western Community College and was offered a scholarship at Indiana State when Warn took the head coaching position there in 1976. Hayes played three seasons at Indiana State (1976–78).
In 1978, his junior season at Indiana State, Hayes was an all-conference player and led the team with 13 home runs. He batted .317 with 48 RBI (in 53 games) and threw out 18 of 21 runners attempting to steal. Hayes was the Cubs' first-round draft selection and the 13th overall pick in 1978. In two years in the majors, he played in five games and had nine at-bats, two hits, one double, .222 batting average, .222 on-base percentage, .333 slugging percentage, and 3 total bases.
Hayes coached and managed in the minor leagues from 1988–97 and 1999–2002, with a one-year stint as bullpen coach for the Colorado Rockies in 1998. In the minors, he managed the Geneva Cubs (1988–90), Peoria Chiefs (1991), Winston-Salem Spirits (1992), and Daytona Cubs (1993) in the Cubs organization. He then moved to the Rockies organization, managing the Central Valley Rockies (1994), Salem Avalanche (1995), New Haven Ravens (1996–97), and Colorado Springs Sky Sox (1999). In the Giants organization, he managed the Shreveport Captains (2000), Hagerstown Suns (2001), and San Jose Giants (2002).
Hayes served as the bullpen catcher for the San Francisco Giants from 2003 to 2014. He was promoted to first base coach for the 2015 season.
Hayes and his wife Kimberly have two daughters.
- Rohan, Tim (25 October 2014). "Baseball World Series: An Older, Wiser Achier Voice of Experience" (56,662). The New York Times. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Stewart, Ian A. (May 2013). "Spotlight: Bill Hayes" (PDF). Giants magazine: pp. 39–42.
- the ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia. Sterling Publishing. 2003. p. 566. ISBN 1-4027-4771-3.
- Gonzalez, Roberto (April 3, 1996). "The Next Step For Hayes". Hartford Courant.
- Haft, Chris (December 9, 2014). "Hayes named Giants' first-base coach; Kelly to third". MLB.com.