Bill Robinson (outfielder)
Born: June 26, 1943|
Died: July 29, 2007 (aged 64)|
Las Vegas, Nevada
|September 20, 1966 for the Atlanta Braves|
Last MLB appearance
|May 23, 1983 for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|Runs batted in||641|
Career highlights and awards
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year through
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year, Robinson played with the Atlanta Braves (1966), New York Yankees (1967–1969), Philadelphia Phillies (1972–1974, 1982–1983) and Pittsburgh Pirates (1975–1982). He batted and threw right-handed.
Robinson was born in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, and graduated from Elizabeth Forward High School. In a 16-season career, Robinson posted a .258 batting average with 166 home runs and 641 runs batted in in 1472 games played. His best season came in
- REDIRECT Template:Baseball year as he batted .304 with career highs of 26 home runs and 104 RBI.
Robinson collected three World Series rings, with Pittsburgh in 1979 and as hitting instructor (a title he insisted on being called as opposed to the more common term "batting coach") and first base coach for the 1986 New York Mets and 2003 Florida Marlins. Players on the 1986 Mets team, especially second baseman Wally Backman and utilityman Kevin Mitchell, affectionately called him Uncle Bill.
Robinson also served as a minor league hitting coach for the New York Yankees and was a minor league coach and manager in the Philadelphia Phillies' farm system. He managed in the Venezuelan League and was an analyst for ESPN's Baseball Tonight in 1990-91.
Robinson died at age 64 in a hotel room in Las Vegas; the cause of death is unknown, although he was known to be suffering from diabetes. He was working as the Los Angeles Dodgers' minor league hitting coordinator. He was in Las Vegas to visit the team's Triple-A affiliate when he died.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference
- Baseball Library
- List of pitchers that gave up home runs to Bill Robinson
- List of pitchers that gave up hits to Bill Robinson
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).