Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe
The Bishop of Limerick, Killaloe and Ardfert or the Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe (Full title: Bishop of Limerick, Ardfert, Aghadoe, Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh and Emly) is the Church of Ireland Ordinary of the united Diocese of Limerick and Killaloe in the Province of Dublin.
The united bishopric has three cathedrals:
- St Mary's Cathedral, Limerick,
- St Flannan's Cathedral, Killaloe,
- St Brendan's Cathedral, Clonfert.
Five others are in ruins or no longer exist:
- St Brendan's Cathedral, Ardfert was destroyed by fire in 1641
- St Alibeus' Cathedral, Emly was demolished in 1877.
- Kilmacduagh cathedral, which is partly in ruins
- Aghadoe Cathedral, which is partly in ruins
- Kilfenora Cathedral, which is partly in ruins, dates from the 12th century.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Limerick and Killaloe|
|1976||1981||Edwin Owen||Formerly Bishop of Killaloe and Clonfert; elected Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe on 21 September 1976; enthroned 5 December 1976; retired on 6 January 1981; died 2 April 2005.|
|1981||1985||Walton Empey||Born 26 October 1934; elected 14 January 1981; consecrated 25 March 1981; translated to Meath and Kildare in 1985, and subsequently to Dublin in 1996.|
|1985||2000||Edward Darling||Born 24 July 1933; consecrated at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin on 30 November 1985; retired on 31 July 2000.|
|2000||2008||Michael Mayes||Born 1941; translated from Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh; elected 8 September 2000; retired 31 March 2008.|
|2008||2014||Trevor Williams||Elected 6 May 2008; consecrated at Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin on 11 July 2008. Retired in July 2014.|
|2015||Present||Kenneth Kearon||Elected 8 Sept 2014; consecrated 24 Jan 2015|
Episcopal combination history
|Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe
(Bishop of Limerick, Ardfert, Aghadoe, Killaloe, Kilfenora, Clonfert, Kilmacduagh and Emly)
|Bishop of Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe||Bishop of Limerick|
|Bishop of Ardfert and Aghadoe|
(also called Bishop of Kerry or Bishop of Iar Mumhan)
|Bishop of Killaloe and Clonfert
(Bishop of Killaloe and Kilfenora with Clonfert and Kilmacduagh)
|Bishop of Killaloe and Kilfenora||Bishop of Killaloe|
(already united with Roscrea)
|Bishop of Kilfenora|
|Bishop of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh||Bishop of Clonfert|
|Bishop of Kilmacduagh|
|plus the See of Emly, via first Cashel (& Emly) and then Cashel & Waterford|
- List of Anglican diocesan bishops in Britain and Ireland
- List of Anglican dioceses in the United Kingdom and Ireland
- Limerick, Killaloe & Ardfert. Church of Ireland website. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- St Mary's Cathedral, Limmerick. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- St Flannan's Cathedral, Killaloe. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- The Cathedral Churches of Limerick and Killaloe. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 401. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Bishop Darling of Limerick announces his retirement. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- Election of new Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- Retirement of the Bishop of Limerick. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- The Revd Canon Trevor Williams Elected Bishop of Limerick and Killaloe. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.
- Consecration of the Rt Revd Trevor Williams as Bishop of Limerick. Retrieved on 9 January 2009.