Bishop of Penrith
The title was first mentioned (as Pereth) in the Suffragan Bishops Act 1534 (alongside a see for Penreth – now called Penrydd – in Pembrokeshire) and was first used for the Diocese of Ripon in 1888, but the incumbent had his episcopal title to Richmond by Royal Warrant in 1889. Since 1939, the Bishop of Penrith is a suffragan bishop in the Church of England Diocese of Carlisle who assists the diocesan Bishop of Carlisle in overseeing the diocese.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Penrith|
|1888||1889||John Pulleine||Appointed for the diocese of Ripon. His suffragan title was changed by Royal Warrant to Richmond in 1889.|
|1939||1944||Grandage Edwards Powell|
|1959||1966||Cyril Bulley||Translated to Carlisle|
|2002||2009||James Newcome||Translated to Carlisle on 10 October 2009. |
|2011||present||Robert Freeman||Consecrated on 28 October 2011. |
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "Diocese of Carlisle". Number10. 28 May 2009.
- "67th Bishop of Carlisle announced". Diocese of Carlisle. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- "New Bishop of Carlisle is set to be enthroned". Westmorland Gazette. 10 October 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- Consecrations of the Bishops of Durham and Penrith
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.