Bishop of Reading
The Bishop of Reading is an episcopal title used by a suffragan bishop of the Church of England Diocese of Oxford, which is within the Province of Canterbury, England. The current Bishop is the Rt Revd Andrew Proud.
The title takes its name after the town of Reading in Berkshire. The bishops suffragan of Reading have been area bishops since the Oxford area scheme was founded in 1984. The Bishop of Reading is responsible for the archdeaconry of Berkshire.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Reading|
|1982||1989||Graham Foley||First area bishop from 1984.|
|1997||2003||Dominic Walker||Also known as Edward William Murray Walker. Translated to Monmouth.|
|2003||Jeffrey John||Nominated in May 2003, but withdrew in July 2003 after controversy about his homosexuality.|
|2004||2010||Stephen Cottrell ||Translated to Chelmsford.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Suffragan See of Reading - 2003. Retrieved on 9 June 2008.
- Suffragan See of Reading - 2004. Retrieved on 9 June 2008.
- Biography: Dominic Walker. Retrieved on 9 June 2008.
- Gay priest rejects bishop post. BBC News, Sunday, 6 July 2003.
- "Diocese of Chelmsford". Number10. 22 March 2010. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
- "Bishop of Chelmsford: Together we will be a transforming presence and make Christ known". Diocese of Chelmsford . 11 October 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.