Bishop of Sheffield
|Bishop of Sheffield|
Suffragan see in 1901, |
Diocesan see in 1914
The title was first created as a suffragan see in the Diocese of York in 1901. The only suffragan bishop of Sheffield assisted the Archbishop of York in overseeing the diocese. Under King George V, the Diocese of Sheffield was created out of the south-western part of the Diocese of York in 1914.
The current bishop is the Right Reverend Steven Croft, who is the seventh to hold the position and signs +Steven Sheffield. He is assisted by the Right Reverend Peter Burrows, suffragan Bishop of Doncaster.
List of bishops
Suffragan Bishop of Sheffield
|Suffragan Bishop of Sheffield|
|1901||1914||John Quirk||Translated to the suffragan see of Jarrow in 1914.|
|In 1914 , Sheffield became a diocesan see.|
Diocesan Bishops of Sheffield
|Bishops of Sheffield|
|1914||1939||Leonard Burrows||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Lewes.|
|1962||1971||John Taylor||Formerly Principal of Wycliffe Hall|
|1972||1979||Gordon Fallows||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Pontefract. Died in office.|
|1997||2008||Jack Nicholls||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Lancaster.|
- "A rover's return for Sheffield's new bishop". Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 29 October 2008.
- "Bishop’s Welcome". Diocese of Sheffield. 22 September 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "About the Bishops". Diocese of Sheffield. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "Historical successions: Sheffield". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I., eds. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, reprinted 2003, ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 273. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.